I WAS ROBBED !!!!!!!!!

A rather large mutt used to lay behind the gatepost on my weekly trip home friday night waiting for an unsuspecting motorist. One night, as he charged the left front wheel, I swung the driver's door open and did the high speed snowplow thing. Next friday night, friend dog was lying in wait, about the time he hit the gravel road, he recognized the car and did an amazing tumbling demonstration. Thereafter, he was always there, but never offered to chase that maroon and yellow Morris Oxford again; other cars were not so favoured. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

My current owner is a four year old Bichon Frise lead/guide dog. If my dad still had the team, she would be lead dog, even if she had to hitch a ride. Previously we had a shepherd cross female, who, at one time or other nipped everyone in the family except SWMBO. That proved to the family, who rated as head bitch around here. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hi Gun's, Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding of how far the laws have gone. Please post more if you find it. regards,

Reply to
john johnson

Tried a few of those cheap ones and you are right: CHEAP

After spending a few days jumping at every sound, I think I know what would work for me:

Would like to install 8 to 10 GOOD quality motion sensors that could activate outside light, a few signal lights inside house and shop( buildings

50 feet apart). But mainly, I would like it to activate a buzzer/vibrating unit I could hang on my belt. Something like a pager. Ideally, it would also indicate which sensor was going off. 500ft range would be OK. 1000 feet would be great.

Anything out there like this? Thanks

Reply to
Chief McGee

Some friendly advice:

Shaping is a heck of a lot of fun, but, always:

1) touch up your tool before a new job; 2) ensure the clapper box is free to operate correctly; 3) tighten up all your nuts - tight; 4) ensure the stroke length is set correctly; 5) run a few "dry run" strokes before starting; 6) keep loose clothing away; 7) keep fingers away from the tool during operation; 8) wear appropriate safety gear; 9) ensure all guards are in place; 10) don't fall asleep.

Afterwards:

1) clean up all mess and swarf; 2) love and respect your shaper in the morning.

HTH

-- Jeff

Reply to
A.Gent

Got a "Resource Pack" from Horrible Freight today. One of the cards was from

have something they call a MURS Alert. Interesting idea, but pricey. Driveway alert, etc. with extended range between sensor and base station.

Reply to
keith bowers

Brother has a "recreational property" miles from nowhere, and has had a few breakins. He installed a few cameras etc from X10, along with motion sensors, door switches, a VCR and an old computer. Nobody's gotten in since, and it appears the word has gotten around that any intruder is likely to be identified.

It has an autodialer that can call a pager, or in his case his cell phone. He can listen in if the alarm goes off, and if at the computer can log in and check the cameras.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:19:43 GMT, John Husvar scribed:

My grandfather used to own a Jewelry store in Boston, in a nice area. I remember that two punks came up on a motorcycle, smashed the front window with a chain, and grabbed all the display jewelry...All the real nice goodies...

Granddad grabbed his pistol, ran out and tagged one of the perps in the leg as they were making their getaway, and the guy fell off the bike. The police came got the guy and were pretty good about it, just asking Gramps not to shoot out on the street, but next time try and plug the guy inside the store. Makes it cleaner that way.

God love him! He will be 100 years this June, and I bet he would do the same today ;-)

Fred

Reply to
Fred Fowler III

Anybody know the resolution of these small cams?

thanks

Reply to
lakemcd

At home depot I bought a battery operated passive IR motion detector alarm.(cheap) I also bought a remote alarm horn that I put in my bedroom. Works by radio. Batteries are 2 AA cells that last for several months. I am remodeling an apartment next to my house and I have a couple of thousand bucks worth of tools in the apartment. Probably any potential robber will be scared off by the noise. A simple system will scare off most crooks, if they are smart enough to bypass the alarm they probably would want to rob something bigger. The layout of the apartment lets the sensor look all the way from the kitchen through the dining room and the living room. I made a wood bracket that holds the alarm to the wall so it will be harder to disable the alarm by removing batteries or smashing the alarm. I also put a piece of tape over the LED that shows the alarm is armed, in the dark it would be harder to find the alarm. I also put in a motion detector light (just screws into the light socket), that might help scare off any crook.

Scp

Reply to
Stephen

||Anybody know the resolution of these small cams?

640x480 color seems to be the minimum for most of these things.

||>Brother has a "recreational property" miles from nowhere, and has had ||>a few breakins. ||>He installed a few cameras etc from X10, along with motion sensors, ||>door switches, a VCR and an old computer. Nobody's gotten in since, ||>and it appears the word has gotten around that any intruder is likely ||>to be identified. ||>

||>It has an autodialer that can call a pager, or in his case his cell ||>phone. He can listen in if the alarm goes off, and if at the computer ||>can log in and check the cameras. ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

||Would like to install 8 to 10 GOOD quality motion sensors that could ||activate outside light, a few signal lights inside house and shop( buildings ||50 feet apart). But mainly, I would like it to activate a buzzer/vibrating ||unit I could hang on my belt. Something like a pager. Ideally, it would ||also indicate which sensor was going off. 500ft range would be OK. 1000 ||feet would be great. || ||Anything out there like this? Thanks

You can get pretty close with X10 stuff. I have 2 motion sensor lights at two corners of my house, with a driveway running past it (trees, elevation changes, shrubbery). The first light turns on the 2nd, plus the front porch light. It will also sound a gong plugged into any outlet. Each light will turn on up to 8 X10 devices. Of course, you can also add cameras etc to your heart's content. Only thing I do not know about is the pager, but there is definitely a burglar alarm as part of the X10 family, and the base station has an autodialer function. My base setup has been very reliable, but it's pretty simple. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

A city wide blackout at Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:23:01 -0700 did not prevent "M" from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

He's part of the Pack, and you're the alpha. Or somebody is.

Had a lady friend who gave off "alpha" vibes. She'd go visit friends and the dog would come up to her and roll over doing the "All present and accounted for SIR!" happy dog shimmy, and she'd give him the proper amount of attention, and the dog would be happy, and never cause any fuss.

Yep.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I a situation like that, is there any reason you woouldn't be able to have those tapes aired on TV and/or streamed over the Internet?

Reply to
.

There has been a lot of conversation concerning VCR's, Video Cameras, etc., during this thread but I am pretty much convinced that even if you get them taped, and they get caught, two days later they will be back ripping you off worse. Courts, lawyers, judges, etc., don't really do anything to help the victim. Motion detectors / other types of sensors to let you know they are THERE are good, but I would only use the video tapes to see the expression on their faces when they are looking down the business end of a 12ga double with 00buckshot. I am about half inclined to blow them away, stick a crowbar in their hands and claim self-defense. At least THEY wouldn't be back to do it again. In case you didn't read between the lines - I'm FED UP with the courts/lawyers and basically the entire system. News stories like "they found him dead in a KNOWN crackhouse" DOH ! ! or "We are going to supply all the junkies in the city with sterile syringes, free of charge, so they don't give each other AIDS." DOH ! ! What the hell has happened to common sense??? Yeah, he broke in, damaged the vehicle, stole the tools you make a living with, but we really don't have any room to house him in the jail, so he'll be out on the sidewalk in about an hour..... Sorry for the rant.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

||>Just walked in on two black guys putting some of my tools in their car. I ||>yelled at them and they dropped the tools and took off. Chased them in my ||>truck till it got too dangerous, turned around and headed home. That's when ||>I realized they had been in the truck. Took the center console with about ||>$60 cash and misc. junk. got the tag number, but don't expect much. ||>What makes me the most mad is that I was in my office 50 feet from the truck ||>and never heard them till it was too late. Course I know it could have been ||>a lot worse and I'm grateful I was not hurt, but I am still pissed. ||>

||>Plan on installing motion sensors to tell me when someone drives up. Also at ||>each door. I live in the country with the shop out back. Would also like ||>to put in a camera and VCR setup. Any suggestions? Sure would like to have ||>them on tape. I bought a cheap system several years ago, but it had such a ||>poor image quality I took it back. ||>

||>I live and work alone, so I have always worried that someone could clean out ||>the house while I was in the noisy shop. Never thought they would just ||>start loading tools with me in the same building. ||>

||>Word to the wise: Protect yourselves and your tools. ||>

||There has been a lot of conversation concerning VCR's, Video Cameras, ||etc., during this thread but I am pretty much convinced that even if ||you get them taped, and they get caught, two days later they will be ||back ripping you off worse. Courts, lawyers, judges, etc., don't ||really do anything to help the victim. Motion detectors / other types ||of sensors to let you know they are THERE are good, but I would only ||use the video tapes to see the expression on their faces when they are ||looking down the business end of a 12ga double with 00buckshot. I am ||about half inclined to blow them away, stick a crowbar in their hands ||and claim self-defense. At least THEY wouldn't be back to do it ||again. In case you didn't read between the lines - I'm FED UP with ||the courts/lawyers and basically the entire system. News stories like ||"they found him dead in a KNOWN crackhouse" DOH ! ! or "We are going ||to supply all the junkies in the city with sterile syringes, free of ||charge, so they don't give each other AIDS." DOH ! ! What the hell ||has happened to common sense??? Yeah, he broke in, damaged the ||vehicle, stole the tools you make a living with, but we really don't ||have any room to house him in the jail, so he'll be out on the ||sidewalk in about an hour..... ||Sorry for the rant.... Ken.

I think the best use for those video records is to demonstrate just cause for whatever course of action you wind up using to discourage their future thievery/mobility/procreation/breathing etc. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Friend of mine works for one of the national chain "drug" stores. The other night some kids lifted some booze from the store. They called the copshop, which is just around the corner, instantly. A detailed description was given, including the car they got into, verifiable by multiple witnesses. Guess what? The pigs made no attempt whatsoever to apprehend. Nothing. This type of (in)action is quite typical, as this was not an isolated event, not even close. They might get away with being "too busy" a couple times, but that excuse wears thin. Add the arrogant, elitist attitude the majority of cops have, and is it any mystery why so many people dislike them?

michael

Reply to
michael

That sounds like San Francisco. Not the "Cops" - the DA. Da - oh that young man shot and killed a police man - . Won't entertain the idea of death sentence.

this one. The Police don't like it.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

No, not SF, but not far from there. Coincidentally, today's local print, the oldest publishing paper in California, had an article about a video store clerk who chased down and made a "polite" citizens arrest of a thief. The captain of the PD said, "Generally, what we advise people to do is act as an expert witness. Be as thorough and as complete as you can." I suppose the theory being that if a "citizen" (cops aren't citizens, they're COPS!) nabs a thief, they must actually do something, instaed of claim involvement in more pressing activities. Of course, these incidents not responded to are great propaganda at budget request time.

michael

Reply to
michael

Yes! Both of our dogs came from shelters. Wonderfull critters. (One of our two cats is also a shelter beast - the other was a kitten born in a storage box at a camp, a friend adopted the mother and found homes for the kits.)

Yep again. Our first dog was border collie/spaniel (or something like that), the spaniel part mellowed out the border collie part and he was a great companion. The current dog is truly a heinz,

70 lbs, black shaggy fur, 9 yrs old when we got her. Possible ingredients are black lab, newfie, husky, and golden.

Neither would be a good guard dog - their reaction to anyone, friend or stranger, is "pet me, pet me". Perhaps a physical attack on us would be different - so far we've been lucky enough not to find out.

John Kasunich

Reply to
John Kasunich