I WAS ROBBED !!!!!!!!!

Most dog owners are clueless to most of their dog's behaviors.

Example:

A person comes home. Their dog comes running up. They tell the dog to go away and get back.

Dogs are pack animals in their ancestry. Some used to stay at home, guard the den, and watch the kids. The others would leave to go bring home the bacon. Upon return, it was the human equivalent of, "Hey, glad to see ya. Are you okay? How did it go? Got any goodies?"

Dogs will usually be a lot better upon returning if you just take ten seconds to rough them up. Dogs do this. Breathe or blow in their face. Dogs do this. Say a few words or utter a few sounds. Dogs do this. If you do this, you will notice that then the dog will usually run off, or at least back off a bit. But they won't until you do this, and sometimes will continue for a long time to try to get you to acknowledge them and heal the rejection you gave them when you first came home. And continual rejection can make a dog do other things to get your attention and acceptance. Most owners don't realize they are rejecting the dog, but that is all the dog sees.

Real pet owners know their pets. They know the different barks and sounds they make. They know when they are stressed, happy, ill, tired or hungry. They interact with them on the pet's level, and understand what they are doing when they communicate. They play with their pets. They leave their pets alone when the pets want a nap. They simply are in tune with their pets.

But most pet owners buy pets as furniture and a show of how caring or rich they are. Some buy them, as pit bulls, as a show of how tough they want to be. They leave them alone out in the yard. They don't spend a lot of time with them. They are clueless to their pets behaviors.

Just MHO and observances from owning many pets. And enjoying learning animal behaviors. I love those outdoor problems that show wild animals doing things, and then explain why they do what they do. Most times, it is not for the reasons one expects.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Actually, I do know that my dog does not bark often, he gets to choose whether he wants in or out at the start of the day if it is sunny, and so we taped him for quite a while, no sound of him barking, except once when the mailman came, and he was asleep and got startled. On the other hand he was quite loud when someone came onto the property to explore and was skulking around in the back yard. OTOH the neighbors have a very high strung and loud dog, it barks at me if I am in any one of the rooms close facing their house, and doesn't shut up. A water gun(not the little pistol type, but the big ones you pump up first) is an excellent solution to neighbors with loud dogs.

Reply to
Reyd

agreed, my dog gets to run virtually wherever he wants, we have a wire that runs all the way around the house, with a leash at least twice the length from any point on that wire to the outside of the property, he only gets put on that when he is not directly supervised as he will sneak off to go visit the neighbors gardens. He doesn't mind this, as his people are almost always still nearby and he is quite happy to sleep all day in the sun. I do know people who leave the dog on a fixed leash all day long, this is not fair to the dog at all, and if they are going to be gone for a long time, people need to get a fence, and a companion for the dog too.

Reply to
Reyd

"SteveB" wrote

Most dogs are nicer than most people. I'm with Gunner. My dog goes everywhere with me. Work, appointments, home, you-name-it. He gets VERY upset if I even leave the house to go out to the shop without him. He really isn't a dog; he's a member of the family. If other people don't like it, that's their problem, not mine. He's getting along in years.... I'll really miss him when he's gone.

Mark

But, I anticipate you will get another very quickly. The surest and best cure. It doesn't erase the memories, but it restores the pack. Our dogs get so excited when they can just ride along to the bank, the postoffice, the 7-11. They are good travelers, and go with us on camping trips, and in the motorhome. They will get into the vehicles or MH if we leave the door open and lay down and sleep.

Just in case..........................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:47:17 -0700, Offbreed brought forth from the murky depths:

That's like saying you shot someone with a .44 instead of a .45. It's still a bit irritating, huh?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:51:52 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

That's precisely why I am not at all fond of the damned things.

A neighbor in Vista had a great shepherd, Porkchop. It would jump up and the sound of his tags would alert you to the fact that he was on alert. If someone strange came up the drive, he would growl quietly. If they continued up, he'd head down, meet them, and growl louder. If they didn't immediately back up, he'd bark once. If they still didn't run, he'd go into angry bark/growl/grimace/drool mode. In 10 years I didn't ever see him bite anyone. That was one dog I actually liked. Another was a basenji, the barkless (almost) African dog of a friend. That's my list. I dislike all other dogs so far, especially the old folks' little barking rats.

Naked movie night, eh? (oy vay, bad visualization)

That's the largest understatement I've ever heard you make, Gunner.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

Nope.

It's REAL DAMNED irratating.

Reply to
Offbreed

My understanding is that all guns are allowed here except military assault rifles, automatic and semi automatic types. All guns must be registered, and the owner is checked out pretty well, they need to have a reason to own a gun. People who are in gun clubs, target shooters, and farmers etc can and still do have guns. Hand guns etc are usually required to be locked up at the gun club. I don't think shop keepers would pass the test though? Normal surban home owners don't have guns, as a rule, though there is still a lot out there, I'm sure. The particular incident in Orange refered to happened before the new laws came in I think.

There has been a big push to have all unregistered guns handed in and destroyed here since Martin Bryan's effort in Tasmania, though there has been a lot of debate over wether any of the gun laws would have had any effect on what happened there, indeed there has been a lot of debate over what really happened there period.

There has been a lot of shootings in western Sydney recently, and the hand guns used were often being stolen from armoured car guards, the money was not taken, just the guns.

I had an aquaintance here a few years back that actually made target shooting rifles in a workshop in their back yard for a hobby. The security on that workshop was very good, and the police made random visits quite often to check out what was being manufactured. Not sure if it's still operating today though.

regards,

John

from down under

Reply to
john johnson

They have. So have the cats. Im quite conscientious about chip control and when using a slab mill in the horizontal, never let the critters close to the outfall until I get it cleaned up, as those "chips" are horrendous.

Gunner

Some may decry the impeachment of William Jefferson Clinton as a national trauma, but not humorist P.J. O'Rourke, who thinks the proceedings are a win-win situation

-- and grand entertainment to boot. Mr. O'Rourke, writing in the latest issue of the Weekly Standard, acknowledges that "some earnest souls have gone so far as to aver that impeachment has distracted President Clinton from ... raising taxes, destroying health care, appointing 1960s bakeheads to high political office, soliciting felonious campaign contributions, hanging friends out to dry for Arkansas real estate frauds, giving missile secrets to the Chinese, taking credit for the benefits of a free market about which he knows little and cares less, using U.S. military forces as fig leaves for domestic scandals and au pairs for the U.N., leading foreign policy back into the flea circus of Jimmy Carterism, having phone sex, groping patronage seekers, and snapping the elastic on the underpants of psychologically disturbed school-age White House interns entrusted with the task of delivering high-level government pizza." Ouch. Tell us what you really think, P.J. "No matter what, Bill," Mr.O'Rourke concludes, "your girlfriend's ugly, your wife hates you, and your dog can't hunt."

Gunner

Ayup..and nearly caught doing my depiction of a shaper at work....

'

[...]

Well that would make me irritable, too.

A testiment to your restraint that you didn't shoot the guy... with whatever.

Jim

jim rozen

The most important point is it was supposed to reduce crime.

That has not happened.

Reply to
Offbreed

Hi John & others, It was my intention to reply to Gunner when I had all of the necessary information, however due to inaccuracies in your post, I will post an interim report, followed up when I have all of the facts. The following is the situation as I believe it to be.

"My understanding is that all guns are allowed here except military assault rifles, automatic and semi automatic types." WRONG Several catagories of handguns are now illegal.

"Hand guns etc are usually required to be locked up at

NOT TRUE Rifles & handguns must be secured in a manner prescribed by the police.

Certain handguns became illegal at the completion of the government sponsored "Buyback". In South Australia, this was 6:00 p.m. on the

31st of March 2004. Since that time, it is illegal to own a handgun :-

Of a calibre greater than 0.38" or 9.0 mm. (with some exceptions detailed later) A handgun with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds.

A semi auto pistol with a barrel length less than 120 mm.

A revolver with a barrel length less than 100 mm.

If the registered owner of a handgun is a member of a pistol club that shoots "Western Action" the calibre restriction is different, (I think up to 0.45".)

If the registered owner is a member of a pistol club & owns a "distinctive target pistol" that is used for a recognised match, then I believe that special dispensation will be granted for the barrel length.

There are other dispensations for "Antique gun collectors" & "Students of Arms" The date for the distinction of the above 2 categories is guns manufactured before/after 1946.

There are different legal requirements for "Black Powder pistols".

Hoping that the above goes someway into presenting the facts, & am more than happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

I will repost with any additions/amendments as soon as I can find them.

Cheer's Guns

Reply to
twistsperfoot2000

Amazingly, I have only had to remove a chip from Buckshot's feet 2 times in the

6 months I've uhm, I mean, he's had me.

michael

No, haven't finished up the film yet.

Reply to
michael

Sounds like my 'Car Chaser Behaviour Modification Unit'. An old-style fire extinguisher charged with water and 120 psi air. Very effective, and good for loads of laughter.

michael

Reply to
michael

I do presume you are talking about a metalworking shaper and not one of those woodworking things. "Sit on this and rotate...."

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

OK, Here's an easy question that I am sure everyone will agree on: What is the best kind of dog?

Traits I would prefer are: medium size female, short hair, short tail. I live in the southern states. Hot humid summers. Fleas/ticks

Reply to
Chief McGee

Gunner wrote

the 6 months I've uhm, I mean, he's

Yeah, the convenience factor would have it's advantages. My cuz, who lives not far from me, is a pro camera geek. Haven't seen him in a while, maybe I'll head up to Tahoe and get his take. Maybe he finds me a good deal too. One of the few blood relatives that is worth knowing.

Watch your email later for a Buckshot gloat.

mj

Reply to
michael

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:28:35 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

Bailiff, Whack his pee pee!