Two Guys On A Truck?

Anyone know the proper name for those rail trucks with two guys who pump handles up and down to make it go?
Sorry I don't have a better description :)
Pete
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 03:26:58 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

When I was growing up, they were called Gandydancers. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

The guys doing the pumping are the Gandy Dancers, the truck is called a handcar, see the old railroad folk song: 'Jerry go and 'Ile the Car'.
Call an MoW guy a "Gandydancer" and be prepared to duck. :-)
Hand cars that were pumped were called, get this, "pump cars". :-)
-- Cheers
Roger T.
video guy - www.locoworks.com spake thus:

You're both wrong (about "gandy dancers"); those were the poor slobs who had to shovel ballast, tamp ties, etc. The cars were just called "handcars".
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Handcar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Push-Car-2-men_W0QQitemZ6062979276QQihZ009QQcategoryZ19130QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref &satitle=gandy&sacatG9%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis 0&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 15:49:40 +1000, mindesign wrote:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref &satitle=gandy&sacatG9%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis 0&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=
The accuracy of Bachmann's use of the term for track workers (supposedly from jumping up and down on the end of a shovel handle - supposedly manufactured by the Gandy Co. - wedged under a tie, to work ballast) for a handcar should be judged by the appearance of the "model", which would only satisfy someone who'd never seen a handcar.
--
Steve

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 03:11:55 -0700, Steve Caple

It's a lot better than the "American Flyer" which looks more like a futuristic hovering piece of cheese :o)
There is another called 'Hobo handcar' but that looks like a cheap soft plastic toy you get in cereal packets.
Bachmann's isn't so bad considering it's motorised.
The nicest models I have seen so far are unmotorised.
Wonder if there are any oo\ho scratch built ones out there.....
Pete
Steve Caple spake thus:

Don't let your hatred of Bachmann cloud your judgement.
They were called "gandy dancers" because of the shovel manufacturer. Forget Bachmann; I take as my authority no less than the Great Golden Voice of the Southwest, that indomininatible Wobbly, Utah Phillips.
--
Steve Caple wrote:
"The accuracy of Bachmann's use of the term for track workers (supposedly from jumping up and down on the end of a shovel handle - supposedly manufactured by the Gandy Co. - wedged under a tie, to work ballast) for a handcar should be judged by the appearance of the "model", which would only satisfy someone who'd never seen a handcar."
What do you expect from the idiots who labeled their H-16-44 as a Baby Trainmaster despite the fact that only the H-16-66 was so nicknamed and extensively documented as such.
Eric
Steve Caple wrote:
"The accuracy of Bachmann's use of the term for track workers (supposedly from jumping up and down on the end of a shovel handle - supposedly manufactured by the Gandy Co. - wedged under a tie, to work ballast) for a handcar should be judged by the appearance of the "model", which would only satisfy someone who'd never seen a handcar."
What do you expect from the idiots who labeled their H-16-44 as a Baby Trainmaster despite the fact that only the H-16-66 was so nicknamed and extensively documented as such.
Eric
Okay, okay, I got it! <g>
--
Steve

Pump\ Hand\ Push\ Car and Gandy Dancers....
Cheers folks,
Now why didn't I think of 'xxxx' - 'car'!
Mostly found what I was looking for now.
Pete

| 1 oz Yukon Jack Canadian whisky | 1 oz amaretto almond liqueur | 1 oz banana liqueur | 1 oz pineapple juice | Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled collins glass.
It's a good thing the pushcar is on rails and can only go in a straight line though after a few of your concoctions I'd probably just fall off..
Sounds yummy - except for the yucky pineapple that is :o))
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:43:04 -0400, Dori wrote:

That's so fruity it should be called a lumberjack, OK?
--
Steve

The Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum (www.sftm.org) has one. You can pump and ride it all day for the price of a ticket. If you get tired, you can ride the trolley.
We call it the pump car.