ID a Harding lathe for me

I stumbled across this lathe that the owner of the shop wants to unload. I don't want it but it might be usefull to you guys. I looks kind of special in that there is no tailstock and the saddle is set-up for turning ball ends or such. The headstock has some kind of collet set-up. Help me identify what it is and what it's worth, I might get a commision if I help find it a home. I'm sure she will take anything over scrap value for it. Needs a good cleaning but looks in good shape.

Tom Gardner

That's a DV-59.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

specifically... That's a DV-59 without its tailstock! probably not of great worth, although Gunner might know different.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Reply to
Kent Frazier

Yep. He should check out ebay, to see that he's not thinking of paying too much.

Tailstock, turret, tooling, or a manual compound would all make the machine worth more.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Thats a very clean and very nice looking DV-59.

With a cross slide and a turret, it would be worth about $1500-2000 in todays market.

I happen to have both , I think, along with a spindle nose cut off slide.

Really, thats a nice machine and tooling it up would be fairly easy. Its a second ops machine, and while its not very handy for regular turning, it may be tooled with a compound, cross slide, tailstock, turret etc. With the minimal tooling on it, Id offer her at least $250-500

OOOO! It Does have a compound, which is the most expensive goodie. Add a tailstock ($300-500 generally..I may be able to do better) and a regular tool holder and you have a nice 5c turning machine for small parts.

Gunner

"This phenomena occurs in many voting precincts, especially near Chicago. Democrat voters are so loyal in some areas that they continue to vote for decades after their deaths. Since most of these deceased Democrats surely vote from Hell, this leads one to wonder about the accommodations made between the Democrat National Party and The Devil. Perhaps this is best reflected in the hook nosed, pointy eared, Herman Munster looking candidate the Democrats choose to run for President this year." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

That's not the "real" compound for those machines, it's a funny one (been seeing a lot of those lately) for doing radii or something. Somebody said it was for contact lenses at one point.

Granted it's variable speed, but it did seem to be a *bit* rough.

I got my DSM-59 (split bed version) with bed turret, unused tailstock, compound, collets, chucks, faceplate, double cross slide, drill chucks, etc, for six hundred.

(gloat)

But it isn't variable speed.

Jim

Reply to