Ideas on making a metal enclosure

Tom wrote:

Bright polished or a high reflectivity white would work OK but if you want it black, you *MUST* shade it with an adequate air gap between the shade and the box.

You are almost guarenteed to have a condensation problem with a black box, On a clear night it will cool far more rapidly than the surroundings and you will get a lot of dew forming on it. Some is certain to get sucked in so you end up with very wet air inside and condensation all through the TV. Add a little dust or leave the TV on standby and you'll have rampant corrosion. I cant think of worse storage conditions short of a box on the deck oif a sea going boat.

A suitable resistive heating element (light bulbs burn out) , waterproof thermal insulation inside the box (glued on foil lined closed cell foam as used behind radiators?) and a minature peltier dehumidifier modified to drain to outside the box and you might be onto something workable, otherwise you'd better have a lot of shares in a TV manufacturer.
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
www.hammfg.com
www.rittal-corp.com
www.belproducts.com
Check around locally for industrial electrical cabinet makers.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:35:34 -0500, "Epictitus"

I'd go with stainless, myself - but I've got a good friend with a TIG who knows how to use it (welds stainless all day) and occaisionally he has some good "scrap" that fits the bill for a project - like my stainless steel lawn mower deck.