If we go to war with Ch**a where will all the spare parts come from?

The quality of the stuff made in Ch**a looks like it's really going up. A lot of tools don't have that goofy made in the garage look. Electronics are really improving fast, I can't tell by looking at the PC boards any more, used to be obvious.

Made in the US stuff seems to be getting scarcer. The logical conclusion of this trend doesn't seem to bother too many people who run the show.

Reply to
Rooster

How come no one makes a big deal about the army's new Stryer being made in Canada?

Reply to
AL

How about this?

AL

In the 60s Kruschev said that Russia would bury us. We had fears about Japan Inc dominating us economically in the late 70s or early

80s. They bought Rockefeller Center in NYC and some expensive golf courses in California and everyone was paniced. Nothing wrong with keeping a wary eye, but I'm not ready to get alarmed yet.

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

Our fiscal policy, that befits a banana republic rather than a first world superpower, can actually bury us. Not completely bury, perhaps, but at least partially. I keep a large part of my cash (about 50%) in euros, for this reason. Bought some when everyone was salivating about "victory in Iraq", and then more and more.

Ignoramus26253

"RWL" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... |>>SNIP

Reply to
carl mciver

Hey, I'm just waiting for the day when China's workers' pay goes higher than America's and then Dongfeng Motor Co. builds a car plant here in California next to the Toyota truck plant. We need the business.

Reply to
ff

| >Made in the US stuff seems to be getting scarcer. The logical | >conclusion of this trend doesn't seem to bother too many people who run | >the show. | >

| Hey, I'm just waiting for the day when China's workers' pay goes higher | than America's and then Dongfeng Motor Co. builds a car plant here in | California next to the Toyota truck plant. We need the business.

Started already. Haier Group, a Chinese company that supplies appliances to Wal-Mart and other U.S. retailers, recently built a refrigerator plant in Camden, S.C. I can never get any more details than that, but there you go.

Reply to
carl mciver

That's good. If you are in the US, talking of sabre rattling is really good.

Reply to
Old Nick

Chinese guy- " 60% of my income comes from America- maybe I should start a war with them to solve this problem."

Whatever you think of them, they are not stupid.

Reply to
EdFielder

I really hope not. It just worries me, given recent history, that people in the US are talking of war with a scary nation mainly because of trade differences. We just don't need that.

Reply to
Old Nick

: I really hope not. It just worries me, given recent history, that : people in the US are talking of war with a scary nation mainly because : of trade differences. We just don't need that. --"We" don't; Bush does. Sigh..

Reply to
steamer

Stryker, isn't it? Nobody's too worried about that because if we Canadians decided to cut off supply to the Americans, our popgun military couldn't stop the US from entering and making things go again. As a former Canadian Prime Minister said, we are the mouse in bed with the elephant. We have probably twice the land of the US, with one tenth of the population, and we get squashed regularly when there's any sort of trade dispute. Right now it's beef, lumber and grain. If we ever get those solved it'll be something else. Not that I'm complaining. We would have been overrun by the Soviets decades ago if it hadn't been for our big brother to the South. How much is that worth, I wonder?

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Gunner wrote: : Korea will NOT be next. They are contained. They have about 20 nukes : pointed at one of our strongest allies along with 10,000 or more : artillery pieces zeroed in on Seoul. --Iraq was "contained" too; look what happened there? 'Open a can of worms', etc; you think the bumpkins in the WH would understand this, but nooooooooooo...

: Korea will be kept on the back burner for a long time, or until the : management dies or is assassinated. --Ideal case yes. Likely? Not so sure..

Reply to
steamer

Same problem down here in Aus.Somehow though the Canadians don't seem to get dragged into the various wars that the US organises every time there is a downturn in the various military suppliers fortunes. We however, seem to trot off behind them to such marvellous successes as Viet Nan, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Canada is very definitely in Afghanistan. Many of the police and other civic employees are being paid directly (not through the UN or other NGOs) by hundreds of millions of dollars in Canadian taxpayer funds, and (to a lesser extent) secured by Canadian troops.

The place is still a horrible mess though. And the parts that are not under control (most of it outside of Kabul) is a narco-state run by various heavily armed warlords. There are enough weapons there for years of fairly heavy combat.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Iraq was hardly contained. Care to discuss any N. Korean equivalent of the Food for Oil program? No Fly Zone and 12 yrs of constant firing on US and British aircraft? Is N. Korea a haven for terrorists?

There is a very long list thatt belies your statements.

Your hatred of Bush and all things Conservative are noted time and again, and how they taint your world view.

So..what do you think will happen? We going to send in the B-52s to flatten various areas of N. Korea? And when a nuke detonates over Seoul, Bush will commit sepuku..right?

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner