Inneresting gas-saving factoid

OK, I think I got it: Yyou allow the engine to compress, but by opening the valve at full compression, you don't get any of the "spring back" from what was compressed.... OK....

So Jon is also saying that *leaving* the valves open the piston will still experience more drag than leaving the valves closed? At above 1,000 rpm, at least.... Tough notion to get used to, but I guess that's what CdA is all about, eh?

Live and learn.... Now I'm going to have weird dreams.... always happens when my intuitive reality is disturbed....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Kind of like perpetual motion?

Reply to
jbslocum

(...)

But we're cheaper than anchovy pineapple pizza!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

to give you some idea of what goes on here in the UK, Gas and diesel fuel cost on average £1.00 a ltr. Most of which is tax, however one can certainly maximise ones milage better with older cars. for example I came by a peugeot 205 a couple of months ago for $150.00, A 3 door hatch, some 15yrs old with the XUD 1800cc 4cyl indirect non turgbo diesel. Had done 100,000 mile but had been looked after, no body rust. The steering was very heavy , it had been broken into and the door bent. I fixed that, changed the tyres to 145 80 13's running at 40psi. This cured the heavy steering, did the injectors nad advanced the pump a few degrees and it now around town on stop start motoring gives 50 to the UK gallon( 4.454ltrs) On a run cuising at a steady 55 to 60mph, 60 mpg.Wet kerb weight 15cwts. We are currently building a vege oil to biodiesel conversion plant weve been able to aquire? some 500 ltrs of waste vege oil which will run well in the Bosch rotary injection pump. This will give us fuel at approx 1/4tr of the cost of mineral diesel fuel.( its now legal here to run on biodiesel up to 2500ltr a year without paying any tax on it.) Many yrs ago I read a US popular US. mechanics? mag which gave the results of an economy competition in the us. They ran the typre pressures at 50 psi and turned down the tread till it was only 2in wide. coasted everywhere and braked as little as possible. Cant recall the mpg but it was over 60 on I think it was in a Plymouth 38. With very careful driving one can get really good mpg's.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Embedded energy in car manufacturing is a very controversial subject, but there is good reason to believe that it outstrips fuel cost to drive the car by quite a bit. A study by CNW research a few years ago sent flames through the eco-blogosphere on this subject. They concluded that a Hummer would save more energy than a Prius.

Having tried to track embedded energy on photovoltaic cells and on corn ethanol, I'm not inclined to weigh in on it again, but if you're interested here's a brief roundup of the different angles on it (unfortunately, many of the links are now dead), and CNW's continuing reports:

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

12,000# in which way? My latest truck is 13,000# GVWR and does not have any sort of "retarder", "jake brake", etc.
Reply to
Pete C.

They USED to use this style. Many today use either a hydraulic retarder in the transmission OR an exhaust retarder (just a pneumatic damper in the exhaust pipe really) However as fire engines are usually considered an "off highway vehicle" they are also exempt from that law.

Reply to
Steve W.

If everyone thought like you we would still be driving horse and buggy.

Reply to
Uhh Clem

Efficiency made the change over to real vehicles necessary. You can't go from NJ to Kentucky and back in one weekend on a horse and buggy...

But I can certainly do just about anything with my 1997 Nissan Sentra that any new Hybrid small car can do... And with less enviro. impact long-term. When it becomes a necessity to change, then upgrade is logical. Until then, it's called either luxury or waste or both.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

All this "green" shit is just the newest form of far left snobbery.

Wave it off like a bad boofer.

Reply to
Scott

Why do you embrace stupidity? Is there some advantage to it?

Reply to
sittingduck

The best way to improve your car's gas mileage is to adust the nut behind the steering wheel.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Remember that distinct sound of a MOPAR starter moter cranking. Must have been something good in the design, can't remember too many going out. I've been a FORD head my whole life & still am. I'm here to tell ya most all of'em (besides the 240/300 -6cyl) have always sucked on MPG. But who cared at less than a buck a gal. What happened to the 283 Chevy Impala getting 20+mpg? How bout the 396 Chevelle pushing 350hp getting 20+mpg? Alot of those claims are directly related to driving techniques. Here we are 30yrs later with 1/2 the engines, computer/sensor/ drive by wire controlled everything & still not that much better mpg? Hmmm makes ya wonder about that 100mpg carburetor story that is sitting on the shelf in some gov. warehouse next to the holy grail. I've always wanted to build my own personal commuter car. - basicaly a coil over shock tube chassis, with a 2cyl air cooled B/S torqconverter ,snowmobile type drive. I think I could build it for less than 5k- easy. With the availability of used bone yard stuff proley less than 3k - in parts now. Back & forth to work, 40-50mph,

50-75mpg, safe-(tube roll cage). Use the "big car" (Ford Fusion hybrid of course) for the family. I dont get it. I think the Oil companies & Mr Bush do. Ok an oil man as Pres. you would think we'd have cheap gas? NFW! the highest ever! Ah yes the gool'ol boys club. Guess I'm not a member.

\|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the HOLDZEM=A9=AE king

Reply to
cncmillgil

My post was simply meant to advance the idea that buying a brand new hybrid vehicle to save resources and the environment was not always the best thing to do. Wait until your current vehicle needs to be replaced and then buy the new technology. To scrap a perfectly good product for a newer, more advanced product when the lifespan of the older product has not been reached sort of derails the whole purpose in many cases.

I'm done with this thread... Too far off topic to be legit for me. Anyone can feel free to e-mail me privately about it though. I'll gladly discuss off-line.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Forgot to mention that I live 15 miles from nearest cable service.

Reply to
Alphonso

You were saying you don't buy the new technology and alluding that it costs more in the long run--I simply offered that if nobody buys=technology becomes stagnatea.

The problem you are getting to is that is they keep getting worse and worse what with buliding in obsolesence.

IM not done as of yet, problem is it's actually very easy to engineer a product that will still function as intended even after it is 100 years old--in that we are the same, and in my opin, planned obsolecence is downrightr despicable

Too bad all the money changers and corporate officers would be unable to earn a living if it were not for the want of the lowly public when it comes to "needing to have" the newest greatest latest greatest big screen and car and camera phone, I currently have zero interest in those items either.... avoid using money and hopefully let em starve.

When the producers all get together and finally decide to produce only enough for their immediate needs then and only then will the game change.

Its about to turn though IMO, USA made iron utility 6ft fence post at Lowe's are currently $5.39 and the same thing at the local feed store goes for $5.75 go figure...maybe things are coming about finally...

Reply to
Brother Lightfoot

Go to the nearest electronic house and buy a BIG TV antenna. They can

80 foot tower. Largest VHF/UHF directional antenna array that could be bought at the time. Rotater. Upgraded Winegard amplifier. RG6 cable. There is nothing availible that is any better than the current set up.
Reply to
Alphonso

OUCH...sounds like satellite time.

Gunner