Internet bids at auctions- they suck

Apparently the outfit that solicits online bids for otherwise conventional auctions is gathering some steam. I don't want to give them any publicity by mentioning the name. Suffice it to say that they are jacking up bid prices on some of the high value desirable items- not the bottomfeeder stuff I usually bid on, but if you're looking for a nice CNC Bridgeport, or a primo tool and cutter grinder, you might want to get to an auction before they're completely ruined. Either that or plan a commando raid to disable the phone line at the auction site (joke).

Reply to
ATP

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:12:09 GMT, "ATP" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

When you say "jacking up" do you mean legitimately, because they make another avenue of bidding available, or are you implying some sort of padding? Serious question.

Actually I can see it hapenning......except for mobile phones. :-<

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

Legitimately, I'm confident of that in this case- but with a smaller shady outfit the local bidders would have no way of knowing whether the "online" or "ebay" bid the auctioneer is calling out is real or not.

Yes- but I don't think they could get the bandwidth they need over wireless, at least right now.

BTW, I like your previous advice regarding auctions. I noticed yesterday getting in the right price range is key- if there are 10 dollar increments and 20 is the right price that's where you want to be. Otherwise you have to go to 30 to get the lot. It's easy to get the first bid in but often hard to get recognized as the (first) bidder on the second round.

Reply to
ATP