It's official

After making money at yard sales and estate sales, SWMBO has given blanket approval for me to go into the junk business. Oh, I mean good junk, but nonetheless, to go out and find items for resale at storage sales or whatever. I figured after I did it for a while and showed her I was actually selling stuff, and not building up my own tool inventory.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, and think I can do well.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'd suggest you specialize in one area and become expert. My son buys snowmobiles in need of repair in the spring. Sells perfect operating ones after the first snow. He also buys four wheelers in need of repair and sells in perfect runnning shape when it gets nice and warm in the spring.

I buy farm equipment, upgrade, and resell.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sorry about the offlist note, clicked the wrong button.

A good idea. I used to pick window AC off the curb. Clean them, add refrigerant if needed. Sell. Now, window AC are $89 at Walmart, and there's no money to be made on used ones.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"SteveB" wrote in message news:l4bhf9$rfo$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org...

What, panning for gold didn't work out?

Reply to
Phil Kangas

You certainly can make money in the junk business. But you have to commit.

I'm very proud of myself when I find a computer for a buck at a garage sale. I could easily double my money after I spend a few hours cleaning it up.

But, in the cold light of reality, when I add up all the gas I used and the money I could have made with a minimum-wage job for all those hours, the mirage disappears.

Takes big ticket items to make enough $$ to be worthwhile.

But I still enjoy the hobby. If I ever get around to selling something, I'll be able to move around the house...

Reply to
mike

Great business for a retired person who is not gullible and has some modest amount of capital.

Ignoramus29024

I do industrial equipment.

Ignoramus29024

Ignoramus29024 fired this volley in news:m62dnXY_Eu2pKPTPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I design and build NEW industrial equipment, so you can sell it as surplus 'junk' once it's retired!

But, as you well know, I still _buy_ some of that 'junk' myself!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The way I see it, "industrial" to me is stuff that people use to make money. Usually used "industrial" is not junk.

Ignoramus29024

Yeah, the machine is simply not as profitable any more, but it certainly is not junk. But we thank them for pricing it that way, right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I worked for the big corporation we certainly bought some large industrial equipment that turned out to be junk.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend