joint replacement question

I am curious, what could one do to prevent "wearing out" of the knees?

My main concern is that I like to ru na lot, but do not want it to create problems later.

Ignoramus4718

Healthy diet (avoid foods you're allergic to as well) Run offroad (dirt, grass, sand, etc) Good running shoes. Ride a bicycle.

ff

Reply to
ff

Install zerk fittings and grease 'em every 3000 miles or 3 months ;-)

I wish that were possible, my left knee has been causing me grief since I was 12 (I turned 41 today). Someday, I'll probably need to get it replaced.

Someone mentioned avoiding foods your allergic to - that's sound advice, food allergies can cause arthritis like symptoms.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

The suggestion that allergy is linked to it is interesting and fascinating.

Ignoramus4718

Drink more water (water is your body's wonder fluid; it is used in cooling, circulation, lubrication of joints, digestion) not enough of water causes so many problems

You can use supplements to help you with your joints, I used the following when I was taking Kung Fu because my knees were hurting: Glucosamine Sulfate Chondroitin Sulfate Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) I switched to Judo and Brazilian Jujitsu and my knees stopped hurting (I haven't had to use any of those supplements since)

I've also heard that Fish Oil (get high quality stuff or you get fish tasting burps) will also help.

You may also want to examine what you do in a typical day to determine if one or more of your activities are causing you problems (adding rubber mats to your shop floor will making a huge difference). Ken

Reply to
Ken Vale

On 8 Jan 2005 19:07:04 GMT, Ignoramus4718 vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Certain exercises to strengthen the muscles that support them, and possibly to give non-impact exercise to the cartilage. Water. Glucosamine and condroitin can't do any harm (except to your pocket?)

Interesting comment about water. I have had one knee give way, and had old Arthur Oscope dig in there. Water definitely helps with my knees.

The above sentence is probably oxymoronic in nature.

Seriously. You will minimise damage by various means. But activity and heredity will be the big deciders. Very few heavy (as in frequent) runners don't get trouble. Those who don't are lucky.

If you are worried because you already have pain in your knees, then you are in trouble. Swim? Cycle?

IN the end you should talk to people that you can sue later when their advice is wrong!

Reply to
Old Nick

If you want to avoid or fix arthritus, bee stings do a good job. OTOH, if you are really alergic to bee stings (very rare) you are immune to arthritus.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Besides surgery, what can be done for a torn rotator cuff and bone splinters in shoulder and in elbow?

I have all three on the right side. Ruined my dart game for one issue...

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Gunner

I also have a pain in the right rotator cuff, due to an accident with a posthole digger... Makes pushups painful if I go beyond 40 pushups or so...

Ignoramus4718

I think it is pretty well agreed that arthritis, in all of its forms, is an auto-immune disease in that the body attacks the connective tissue in the joints. In one sense the body becomes allergic to itself. Figuring out exactly why that happens and how to stop it is a whole nother matter.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Switch from running to walking. I've been told that the physical exercise of walking one or more miles a day is as good, if not better, than running for cardio-vascular health. The logic is that one can walk (briskly) for a much greater distance than the average person can run. This results in a longer period of moderate stress on the muscles and circulatory system, which causes them to grow to handle the stress. An analogy would be lifing weights for an hour or laying concrete blocks all day. The weight lifter sees a higher peak stress (but for a much shorter time), but the mason does a greater amount of work and he'll wind up in better shape.

I don't know if they all feel this way, but an acquaintance that's an orthopaedic surgeon doesn't think much of runners. Although he does admit that they are a good source of vacation and toy money.

Reply to
Jim Levie

If you are seriously concerned about joint or skeletal problems, go ahead and follow all the good suggestions here ... and do one more thing ... find yourself a good massage therapist.

Licensed massage therapists are to found all over the country. They are often licensed by the state you live in. George Burns (who lived to be 100) received a full massage each week.

Read up on Swedish Massage Therapy -- you might find it worthwhile.

- Best, Carl

Reply to
Carl Hoffmeyer

Thanks. The reason why I am so interested in it is this: I had knee pain for years, that ceased completely when I stopped eating grains and other carby things. I can now run daily with no knee problems. I used to not be able to run more than 2x per week.

Ignoramus4718

"Jim Levie" wrote: (clip) I think it is pretty well agreed that arthritis, in all of its forms, is an auto-immune disease in that the body attacks the connective tissue in the joints. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is true of rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis (which my doctor calls "wear and tear arthritis") is a breakdown of the cushion which separates the joint surfaces.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

with a happy ending?

Reply to
ATP

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:54:55 -0500, "ATP" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Wasn't it George that was into cigars? Oh no. That was Bill...

Reply to
Old Nick

I did something similar, did you notice that you had to drink more water? Ken

Reply to
Ken Vale

No, I do not think that I drink any more water than before.

Ignoramus27473

:-) Yes, George Burns did enjoy his cigars. Thing was, the massage therapy kept him quite limber -- remember he did the two "God" flicks with John Denver when he was pretty well on.

They do improve your circulation, muscle tone, and skeletal strength. As much as I *love* exercise, I'm after a heart attack and still on the good side of 60, so I'll take the massage over the cigars ... always was a pipe man ... oh well.

Cheers, Carl

Reply to
Carl Hoffmeyer

today i have a case of the gout it hurts like hell... gotta go to the doc for pills

Reply to
HaroldA102