Jon Danniken

Jon Danniken wrote: >>>(here is the relevent section; work is green, electrode is RED, and >>> blue is the (+) and (-) output from the SCR bridge: >>>

>>> if it wraps:
>>> Now, the work goes back to the transformer, no surprises there, but >>> the electrode does something odd. It goes to the part of the bridge >>> where AC normally goes, and the DC outputs of the bridge are >>> connected through the smoothing choke!

> [...]

Good question. I saw the bridge and it did not look like power path stuff, so I assumed it was power to the board for gate drives or maybe phase sensing. After you comment, I looked again and you are correct, the drawing shows the bridge with the AC input connected to the board. I assume that the drawing is correct.

I am fishing here, because I don't have the board schematic to know for sure what is on the board end of that bridge. I suspect that they may be using it to turn off the SCR's before the power line zero crossing. As you say, a 40 Amp 800V bridge is pretty stout. That 40 Amp is probably continuous current, they would probably handle 5X that or more in pulse mode. If you dumped a capacitor into that bridge from the board that was charged to the instantaneous phase voltage, you could probably drive the current through the SCRs to zero for long enough to switch them off. Switching off the SCR before the power line zero crossing would supply the negative side of the square wave. I have not looked at the current waveform shape on my Syncrowave to confirm this kind of switching, but I can't think of anything else to use that bridge in that configuration.

For some reason, my newsfeed is not showing this article thread, so my replies are cut and pasted from Google. Sorry if the readability suffers.

Good Luck, BobH

Reply to
BobH

Hi Bob, no problems with readability on this end, don't know why it's not getting propagated on the server, though.

Thanks for your estimation as to the function of SR2; this being my first time playing with thyristors I am much appreciative of your experience. I didn't think of shutting off the SCR this way, but in the absence of GTO SCRs, it makes sense.

I do know that they are controlling the polarity percentages somehow, as well as the pulsing frequency, and with the lack of a transistor/FET bridge after the thyristor bridge, it seems to be a likely culprit.

It would sure be nice to have the controller board schematic though, wouldn't it. :)

When I get a few of my parts in I will be playing around with this thing and looking at waveforms on my scope, which will hopefully give me some more clues as to what is going on (as well as raise some more questions, of course. )

Thanks again,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken