ladles

I got these big ladles at an auction a while back and and don't know what they are good for. I see you can pour sinkers and stuff but 2 of them are kinda past the size needed for that much lead. I think you could smelt aluminum or zinc in them safely. Never used. Anyone need such an animal?

Reply to
daniel peterman

Description?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

How big are they and what do you want for them?

Reply to
Diamond Jim

The biggest one is 9" bowl 4" deep middle is 6" bowl 3" deep and the smallest is about 4" X 2". They have about 24" handles.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Or maybe you could use it to melt copper-plated zinc?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I've got some similar to your smaller two, they were used for pouring lead joints for cast iron drain pipes and melting lead for making wiped joints. They get used these days for melting up wheel weights and pouring ingots. If they've been used for lead you don't want to use them for zinc or aluminum, lead is poison for either metal for casting purposes. Same deal with zinc, if it's been used for zinc, you don't want to use it for lead.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Good points about contamination. I've seen these used for pouring lead into oakum joints but the three I have were never used at all, so that's not an issue. I could use them to cook chili I suppose. BEFORE I melt down some wheel weights or batteries. Maybe they are just decorative or conversation starters.

Reply to
daniel peterman

does everyone use coatings on thier ladles?

Reply to
erik litchy

Are these ladies good cooks or can they carry on intelligent conversations? If so you might keep them around instead of filling them with lead. Besides that's illegal in some counties and what would you do with the bodies? Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle