Larios Horizontal mill and shop straightening

Sigh...I was hard at work getting the shop in order..then I wound up in LA for a month.

I dont recall if I posted the pictures or not....this is what Ive got to finish before going back south..well..probably not Finish..but...get a grip on....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Photo 12. Please rewire it so that a hot phase isn't on a green wire. Makes me cringe just looking at it...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Good you checked in, Gunner. Kinda agree with Jim re. that green wire - a little scary but OTOH we don't know where the other end of it goes, so it may just be improper use of color code. I presume it ran ok in the past but to be safe you ought to check it out.

Photo 12. Please rewire it so that a hot phase isn't on a green wire. Makes me cringe just looking at it...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Good eye.

I noticed that as well when I first opened up the motor. The rest of the wiring was rotten as can be, so one assumes that the previous owner used what he had at hand to rewire the motor.

When I figure out how to control the damned thing...seperate motor on the table as well.....Ill rewire the entire thing to code. Those two cables are not..not hooked to anything at the moment, simply dangling.

Still trying to figure out how to control the critter.

I need: Spindle forward/reverse. This also controls table direction. (Gear driven table highspeed retract in all 3 axis) Spindle High/Low Power On/Off.

Notice the control panel in photo 16.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

little scary but OTOH we

color code. I presume

Check Photo #2

I should mention that in my real daytime job as an independant machine tool tech...I run across countless cases of 3ph cords being made out of common 3 wire cable...black/white/green. Not right, not code, but still emensely common. And has been for many years. Shrug.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 21:50:25 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

So, do the Eyetalyuns hire good looking women in short skirts to run their mills? Floor-level is an assinine position for that CP.

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I confess...

Reply to
Buerste

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

One would hope so!

Ive always considered a corner to be a good place for most mills. Using that one in a corner would be a head bumping nightmare.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That sort of thing will get some one else killed and is criminal. Wiring a shotgun to the front door is a slightly less serious offense imho.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

shotgun to the

Yet its common as dirt, wide spread and the numbers of fatalities is very very small.

But..its still quite unwise.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yes, I've seen it. I still want whoever did it to live a life of flipping burgers rather than routing electrons.

Wes

Wes

Ok.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It's handy to have rolls of vinyl tape in different colours around. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Say 10 Hail Hubbells and go in peace....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I've seen it most often when 14/3 sjo was used for control cable to two hand controls on a pedistal. Green was used for power common, white and black were used to go to the NC and NO contacts on Reese buttons in series. Seems to happen where the only flexible cable in the shop in stock is for making extension cords.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That only counts when you do the deed, then you tape it up properly

- but even then it's considered Temporary. You order 10-4 SO cable and the proper 4-pin Twistlock cord caps and receptacles for each tool, so it has a real ground connection.

If I ran around taping up every cable like that when I was at a customer's for a repair job, I could easily waste days at it.

And they usually don't want to pay for it either, amazing how many foolish people have the reins of the checkbook. I sometimes toss the tape job in for free when I touch the tool under the "it's the right thing to do, and nobody else is gonna do it" doctrine.

Besides, if it goes chassis hot I might be the first one to touch it accidentally. And trust me, that is never a fun feeling.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I was down in a shop in Tustin a few years back, checking out a Smith Lehman lathe...8" spindle bore. I was laying on my back on a concrete floor, meter in hand checking something, and reached up and grabbed the machine to pull myself up..and ZAPPPPPP!

There I was, doing a pretty good imitation of a marlin on 200 lb test and one of the guys came over and kicked my arm hard enough to break my grip.

The owner came running over about the same time, busted into a hard sweat.

After laying there a minute or two, getting the ol heart beat back to somewhere close to normal...I told him it really needed a decent ground, after I found out where the short to machine was, and that plastic really didnt make good machine feet insulators if he didnt have a good ground. I killed power, found the problem, repaired it, installed a good ground (he was using 3 wire instead of 4 wire) and installed a new cable up to the disconnect on the wall. And a good ground.

One of the operators commented...."ya know...I tot I vas feeling a little tingle ven I cranked da levers..but only ven I vor my going home shoes (leather soles)"

Crom but I hate cheap bastards.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 03:14:13 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Glad to hear that you survived it. So, what's the standard upcharge for being electrocuted by your client? An extra day's work?

-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques