Lathe and motor maintenance

Not having ever owned a lathe before but starting to learn raises more and more questions.

I have gone round and oiled all the areas on my lathe marked with red and it seems to run fine. When looking at the motor I can see its a .75hp 240 motor, on either end it has a little spring loaded cap that when you open goes into the motor housing. Do I need to oil the motor or are they for some other purpose?

Thanks

Ray

Reply to
rt

Next question is how much oil do I put in ?

Cheers

Ray

Reply to
rt

Yes, those caps are for oil.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks Chris much appreciated

Reply to
rt

A couple of squirts from an oil can every month or two is probably about right for a hobbiest's lathe. If the oil comes dripping down the motor, you overfilled the bearings.

A little oil often is better than lots of oil infrequently.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I had to do a repair on a Do-All ML band saw today..part of the vari-drive simply..fell off. So I fixed it all up, gave the motor and all the lube points a shot of oil, filled the nearly empty gear box..pm'd it top to bottom..and was running it in while picking up my tools. Customer came over to chat and started to reach for the blade..saying something about blade tension..and I slapped his hand away. Then reached down for a chunk of wood and cut it into about 4 fast pieces as he is standing there open mouthed.

I looked over at him as I was closing my Chicago case..told him "runs a bunch quieter when you lube it up from time to time..."

He nodded..a bit shocked, and added an extra hour to the total on my service report.

Nice guy..starting to do a lot of work for that shop..and they pay well.

Gunner

Gunner

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 03:56:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Good man. You'd better call him and remind him to tell the whole shop about the "new" machines you've been working on. Complacency breeds accidents like the one you headed off.

Cool!

It's a good thing you slapped away his wallet hand, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He called the guys who run it, over and said.."its running right now. Cowboy fixed it..be careful" as he slapped the blade with a stick of wood and cut off chunks. Its a neat visual.

Much ooohing and ahhhhing

Damned straight!

Gunner

Gunner

{think the Clint Eastwood movies}

Music:

Doodle-doodle daah Do do dahh

Gunner:

gives a squint and pulls hat brim down

walks out through the sun-lit doorway

Fade to black

Reply to
xray

Ive had that fade to black..pulled the hat down too far and ran plumb square into a steel post.....busted my nose when I hit the ground...

Gunner

Gunner

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 05:29:12 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

'Til he shows off too much and takes his fingers off while looking at the crowd instead of the blade during a demo...

But of course!

Reply to
Larry Jaques