Lathe Tooling Recommendations?

I have a South Bend 13" Lathe and am looking for cutting tool recommendations. I've been using HSS and Carbide tipped tools but thought some insert tooling might be beneficial. I have a Harbor Freight QC Tool Post that seems OK. Any recommendations for good general purpose (OD and Boring) tooling?

I like the idea of turning and facing in one setup like you can do with the

55 Deg diamond and 80 Deg inserts.

Thanks! RogerN snipped-for-privacy@midwest.net

Reply to
Roger_N

I do mostly personal custom gunsmithing on the lathe, and 99% of the time I like HSS or Cobalt.

I grind some by hand, and grind some with precision angles on a "carbide grinder" with the white wheels:

When I want to take off pounds of steel, I go to the $1 pre welded Carbide tool bits. They want lots of speed and feed and no interrupted cuts.

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Anyone know a source for the white aluminum oxide wheels to fit this grinder?

I've got the HF copy with green wheels and would like to put a white wheel on one side for HSS bits. I've been looking but no luck so far finding anything but green and diamond wheels in stock anywhere.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

I got my Norton white wheel from J&L Industrial, but they no longer seem to be available there or anywhere else in the 6x1x1-1/4 size. The only thing close I can find has a 2" width. You might keep your eye on EBay for one.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright