lead bullet making

Yup, but I'll bet he didn't warn you of inhalation dangers.
Lloyd

She did, but she knows I'm not a total fool and cast with ventilation. Besides, at the temps I use it's not much of an issue.

Yes, that was the point I made earlier. At near-boiling, lead can do some weird things in air, but not at casting temps.
LLoyd
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 05:58:43 -0500, Karl Townsend

1. Good supply of wheel weights and in the case of the MGs...a fair supply of Linotype alloy
http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm#commonalloys
http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm
2. a natural gas source or a 20lb bottle of propane
3. Old gas burner..the bigger the better
4. Make it yourself bottom pour pot capable of handling a minimum of 20 lbs of molten lead alloy
5. a double or quad cavity mold for each bullet you intend to cast, (with handles)
6 bullet sizing/lubricator. In the case of many bullets at a time..Id suggest a Star luber. Else Lyman/RCBS etc etc
7.Dies for each caliber for the luber
Lubricant. For the MGs..Id strongly recommend Hard lubes and a heater to mount your luber/sizer on.
8. Lots of time, or a neighbor kid you can pay cheap to sit and cast bullets.
Not much else. Oh..a neck expander die to put a small bell (very small) on the case mouths..but that can be made from a threaded rod on a lathe
Gunner
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
On 10/1/2012 12:55 AM, Gunner wrote:

We got us another convert to the silver stream!
(look at my recommendations, I went a slightly different route.)
But for GOD'S sake, don't let him fuck with batteries!

Indeed. A buddy of mine snagged some 2000 lbs of old batteries, busted them up with sledge hammers, remelted the lead..and got about 25lbs of lead out of the deal....with a couple wheelbarrows of nasty..nasty slag to deal with.
I warned him..but no..he wouldnt listen....shrug.
Gunner
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

    Dang - that lead "slag" should be refinable. - I mean there is a several hundred pounds of material there. It can't all be plastic case and the like.

    I'm sure there is a way to process the lead in batteries - right. (I suspect that you need to completely neutralize the acid, and clean out the non-lead compounds. Both of which may require a level of chemical processing beyond the back yard salvager.)
tschus pyotr -- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Problem is, there's so much "unwantium" in batteries that you can't smelt, that it will might make up 75% of the weight or better.
Cadmium compounds (not good!), calcium compounds (not so bad), lead sulfide and oxide which aren't likely to reduce at the temperatures you have available, and other "stuff" like glass insulator mats... About the only meltable lead is the posts, connector straps, and those flimsy "screens" of lead that hold all the other smeared-in pastes of compounds they make the electrodes from.
Lead compounds are heavy, too... so it makes it appear you've got a treasure-trove, when what you have is a recycling mess!
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> on Mon, 01 Oct 2012 15:33:06 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Oh -boogers.

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Leave the battery recycling to the third world 8 year olds, they're the experts :/
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> on Mon, 01 Oct 2012 15:33:06 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I just had a thought: "non-imaging optical focusing". Aiming a lot of sunlight at a small spot, raising the temps significantly (~ two to four thousand degrees), doing more than just melting, but vaporizing. Might work.     And it is solar powered and Green!
pyotr

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.
On 9/30/2012 6:58 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I think you won't want to go through what it will take to get your 7.62 to drive tacks with lead. For the cost, I think you will be FAR better off in both money and TIME by buying jacketed slugs. For $13/100 or $355/3,000 go here:
http://hi-techammo.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU6011&object-menu6
Pistol ammo is much more cost effective. If you only want 9mm, I'll cast them for you...we could trade for apples.

There are better prices out there. Particularly if one can use 149gr slugs

Anyone got a "user" Garand they dont need anymore that I could swap for machinery or Stuff?
Sold my last one a couple years ago when the economy went into the toilet after the surgery..and Im missing not having one around.
Gunner
Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

This sounds like one heck on an idea to me. Email sent.
karl