Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

We're the ones putting it into lipstick, reportedly....

Reply to
ATP*

That was going to be my question. I have about 200 lb of mixed led in PA and was wondering if I should sell it. Don't know if it's worth trying to haul it very far to sell if the scrap dealer is only giving 7cts/ lb. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Not pouring - one has a billet and rolls and then compresses small cutoffs. Akin to rolling threads...

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Leave your kid alone in a crib for a few minutes, and I'll bet he'll be as happy as generations before him, to be smearing himself down with it, and eating it.

Best to take a few pictures before the cleanup. Good stuff, when they get older, smarter than you, and mouthy about it.

Best as I know, none have died from it.

Or suffered any lasting damage.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Dr. Paulsen's track record is rather good.

Then of course their opinions would have no value for you.

Shoulda gone with lead or copper! Greater return in shorter time.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Read a book " The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair about the US meat industry at the turn of the last century. Probably similar to where China is today. You think that the food you eat that is processed by us companys is all that good. They put a lot of crap in it that is harmful to you but the crap hasn't been put on the banned list yet.

The Chinese government is trying to control the safety of its exports, just like george bush is trying to control the illegal aliens. If either really crack down and do the proper controls, there will be hell to pay.

John

Reply to
John

He may be different from others.

Maybe I should sell my 50 lbs or remelted bullets. Bought a bucket of bullet fragments from a gun range a few years ago. Spent some good time melting them. Doubtful I will use them much, at least not as much as I have.

Ignoramus31535

That reminds me, I got a counterweight from a #5 cinci vertical mill outside in the back that we scrapped a while ago. The thing must weigh over 500 lbs. Add that to the 36 volt forklift battery back there and I have a small fortune in lead. :)

John

Reply to
John

Senior son at around 18 months found a solution to the wet bed problem; he would stand in the corner of his crib, pull down his diaper and direct the stream at his younger brother in the adjacent crib. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned Gunner Asch wrote on Mon, 15 Oct 2007

13:57:12 -0700 >

If you die of lead poisoning, it will the sort caused by an irate husband or a scorned woman.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

If one could afford to plink with silver bullets, buying new barrels would not be a worry.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

True enough

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Reply to
Louis Ohland

As popular myth would have it, there were no government inspectors before Congress acted in response to "The Jungle" and the greedy meat packers fought federal inspection all the way. The truth is that not only did government inspection exist, but meat packers themselves supported it and were in the forefront of the effort to extend it!

When the sensational accusations of "The Jungle" became worldwide news, foreign purchases of American meat were cut in half and the meatpackers looked for new regulations to give their markets a calming sense of security. The only congressional hearings on what ultimately became the Meat Inspection Act of 1906 were held by Congressman James Wadsworth's Agriculture Committee between June 6 and 11. A careful reading of the deliberations of the Wadsworth committee and the subsequent floor debate leads inexorably to one conclusion: Knowing that a new law would allay public fears fanned by "The Jungle," bring smaller competitors under regulation, and put a newly laundered government stamp of approval on their products, the major meat packers strongly endorsed the proposed act and only quibbled over who should pay for it.

In the end, Americans got a new federal meat inspection law. The big packers got the taxpayers to pick up the entire $3 million price tag for its implementation as well as new regulations on their smaller competitors, and another myth entered the annals of anti-market dogma.

To his credit, Upton Sinclair actually opposed the law because he saw it for what it really was ? a boon for the big meat packers.10 Far from a crusading and objective truth-seeker, Sinclair was a fool and a sucker who ended up being used by the very industry he hated.

Myths die hard. What you've just read is not at all "politically correct." But defending the market from historical attack begins with explaining what really happened. Those who persist in the shallow claim that "The Jungle" stands as a compelling indictment of the market should clean up their act because upon inspection, there seems to be an unpleasant odor hovering over it.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

So the accusations about the US meat packing industry being a dirty, sickeningly filthy unregulated business were all untrue? It was a model of modern, clean, sanitary production facilities for producing quality food for human consumption? Yeah, and I have a bridge I would like to sell you. How many times do we have to see what unregulated business does when there are no inspectors? In my town we have a "plume of contaminated aquifer running through the middle of town from where dry cleaning companies dumped toxic chemicals in the ground and sewers. We have an area where the old Diamond Match Company used to produce matches and did the same thing to the ground, and we have a dump that has to be completely dug up and processed because of toxics left there from unregulated dumping. That is just in my dinky town. Multiply that by thousands and you know what happens when nobody is watching what businesses are doing. Any place business is left unregulated the story is always the same. They pollute like crazy, leave their business sites in shambles and disappear when it's time to pay for it. It's gotten worse since Bush took over and allowed and fostered an old fashioned leave business to regulate itself attitude. Reducing the consumer product safety agency from

1,100 to 400 is a good example. Leave business to police itself and we pay the price.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I can understand the price of brass and lead going through the roof. They are going through unreal amounts of ammunition in Iraq. The ammo producers are having a hard time keeping up. I tried to buy 2000 .38 caliber lead bullets from my regular supplier last month and they didn't have any, haven't had any for a long time, and don't know when they will get more. They blamed it on the war, which is probably right. I have seen the price for .45 ACP lead bullets go up just about every time I reorder. A year or so ago I was paying something like four or five cents a bullet. I just got a

1000 bullets last week and it cost me 90 bucks. It's getting to the point where I am going to have to start casting bullets again. I go through a lot of lead and the price is getting so high that casting is starting to become a reality again. But it's so boring and time consuming I hate to have to start doing it again.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

An awful lot of lead is going into SLA batteries for electric vehicles in China. Maybe only 5 or 10 kilos each, but multiply that by 100 or

200 million.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Heck yeah, as long as we're exporting them to China.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Somehow, this just doesn't surprise me..

John

Reply to
JohnM

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:35:57 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, JohnM quickly quoth:

Yes, that explains quite a lot, doesn't it?

-- Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -- A. Sachs

Reply to
Larry Jaques