Learn something new all the time

At the second hand store another customer was buying lathe equipment so I asked him about trouble I'd had parting and he told me to set the blade about 0.020" below center instead of trying to exactly center it to clean off the tit before drilling as I had been doing. I just tried and it worked much better. The partee didn't fall off but was easily broken free.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

There was a discussion of that subject over on the Logan lathe list a while back . They were advocating a spring tool holder for cutoff so that it wouldn't dig in . I do the same as you , set my cutter just below center and it works just fine . They were all aghast that a simple adjustment will do the same thing as their spendy tool holder . Even got a few "That can't possibly work or I wouldn't have spent all that money on my tool." exactly as I expected .

Reply to
Snag

I've seen the below center cutting position suggested on various boards and groups. Winky's Workshop did some videos on parting including making a spring loaded tool some time back. I just skimmed the videos, but among them turning below center was also mentioned.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've always done it , just seemed intuitive to me . Now that I've stepped into the modern world with a qctp and a much more rigid cutoff toolholder I'm partin' shit off just for the fun of it . Please pardon my 'tude , I'm drinking to excess this evening in preparation for a drive to Memphis tomorrow . Twofold trip , doing repairs to a pottery kiln for a long time (35+ years) client and picking up our oldest g-daughter up for a stay with Grammy and Grandpa . We'll swap her for her brother in about 3 weeks . He wants to be here for Beanfest .

Reply to
Snag

-----------------

What sticks to broken firebrick?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

fireclay? ("fire clay")

Richard Smith

They make a compound just for that . I'm not sure what's in it but it doesn't shrink as it cures/dries . I can get the info from the potter for you this afternoon if you'd like .

Reply to
Snag

Yes , but fire clay shrinks as it dries . That might not be desirable ...

Reply to
Snag

Thermal Ceramics Triset, Sairset, Satanite.

Reply to
David Billington

They make a compound just for that . I'm not sure what's in it but it doesn't shrink as it cures/dries . I can get the info from the potter for you this afternoon if you'd like . Snag

No rush, it's for an old electric tube furnace I occasionally use for controlled heat treating.

Jim Wilkins

There are other refractory coatings.

You know I have a kiln taking up space on my shop floor. It was free. I've goto to stop accepting free stuff... The plan is to steal the elements and and stainless shell make a small heat treat oven. I've been debating a either an combustible gas type or a positive pressure type. I hate sanding. For now I either heat treat with a torch or in the gas forge. Did I say I hate sanding?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think Sairset is the one my potter client used for some repairs .

Reply to
Snag