LH internal Threads

Chuck rotation CW (facing it). Tool bit upside down and on the front side of the lathe. Carriage moving toward tail stock

Or

Chuck rotation CCW Tool bit upside down and cutting on the back side of the lathe. Carriage moving toward the chuck.

Reply to
<jamw42

Sigh..thanks. I just came in from the shop, and had stood there for about 30 seconds when the light bulb came on above my head. I felt like an utter idiot when I posted this..and a bigger idiot when the light bulb came on over my head.

Now Ive got to grind an ID tool. That I think I can manage.... I checked my threading tools..nothing for ID..dont know where they have hidden themselves this time.

Thanks again

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Be sure to give yourself plenty of front clearance, ID threads need more of it than OD threads.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I make 'em by silverbrazing a piece of HSS toolbit on the end of a boring shank. I do most of the grinding before brazing, just touch it up after brazing.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ayup. Did that. Got the "nut" made already this morning. Now to mount one of the spare mag chucks on the grinder and see what the surface finish looks like.

Further metalworking:

Buddy came over yesterday with his brand new Savage FTL 10 rifle and a brand new aftermarket 6.5x55 barrel. I made him a receiver clamp out of aluminum bar stock (3" diameter) and we changed the barrels out. Damn thats easy. (He did buy the proper barrel nut wrench)

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Don't forget to grind in your mag chuck, not if you expect it to be true ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

But of course. Magic marker on the top. Though i did use Dykem on the big 618 I have

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner