Lincoln "Tombstone" welder question

I've taken the metal housing off the welder so that I can paint it prior to sale. (20± years old, total on time, less than 1 hours). I moved on to mig and tig shortly after buying this unit. It is the AC and DC± 225 amp version. Two questions:

1) I passed the cables through the housing and need to know which is which. The electrical diagram shows a "work" cable and an "electrode" cable. Can I assume that the "work" cable is in reality what most people call the "ground" cable. It is the shortest of the two. 2) In selling this, I don't think I will get much extra money for the extra length leads that I have attached to this machine. Total reach is 50 feet. I called my welding supply place and they told me that 60 feet of cable (30 feet for each leg) would cost $230!!! Yikes!!! The connectors would add another $25± to the cost. So you see, this unit will probably sell for about $150 max but I don't want to give away the extra leads. How would you guys market this? (I'm going to use Craigslist). With the extension leads? List them as an optional extra? Or should I simply keep the leads and use them on my tig?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Yes, that is correct.

These welders came with permanently mounted cables - no connectors. The 'work' lead was about 10 feet, the 'electrode' lead was 15.

I'd cut them back to the 'factory' length and keep the extra cable for your future welder repair/extension.etc.

You won't get back the value of longer cables when selling the machine - why give away valuable copper that you'll have to buy again when you need longer leads yourself?

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

Reply to