Linkage research

I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up before.

Reply to
unk

Jim Wilkins

That can cover a lot of territory. Besides the classical linkages described in Jim's link, and a limited Watt's linkage, there is the rhombic drive, used in advanced Stirling engines, and the linkage used in the original Atkinson-cycle engine patents.

But the definition of a straight-line linkage can get a little fuzzy, depending on who'se doing the defining. It basic terms, a conventional crank, driving a piston in a constraining cylinder through a connecting rod, produces "straight-line motion."

There also are a couple of books, the titles of which I can't remember, that describe all kinds of new and old mechanisms. I recall that quite a few of them were mechanisms used by designers of production machinery, which tends to have a lot of rotary-to-linear motion requirements.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:

or maybe:

Leon Fisk

Undoubtedly you'll find it or a close variant in one of Leonardo's sketchbooks... :)

Reply to
dpb

Have a browse through this book and see if its in there:

Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook.

Reply to
Trumble

Try _Ingenious Mechanisms for designers and inventors_, a four-volume set edited by Franklin D. Jones, published by Industrial Press, Inc. While the volumes which I have are perhaps ten years old or so, but has a copyright date of 1930 for Volume I.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

404 error, sadly. Here's a google link to it:

I was about to suggest both of those, Leon.

They're great to relax with, spending a rain/snow day inside.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oops, that one resolved to elephant-ads. Do not go there.

kindle version @ the Amazone.

Reply to
Larry Jaques