machine paint?

One of my lathes needs paint and I don't know what to use. On other machines I've tried HardHat and urethane floor paint, but neither have been very durable and are easily chipped. Any suggestions appreciated. TIA

Reply to
JD

Imron, but it's toxic as hell. Brush it on.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

there are newer urethanes as well - Imron is great, but you can't buy it everywhere because of VOC issues. check with an automotive paint store - Finishmaster is one chain that I've worked with. Imron is ok if you use either a carbon filter to breathe through or have air tanks or something - I've painted car frames with it, but always outside, with a filter on my nose - the newer stuff seems almost as durable and is less toxic.

Reply to
William Noble

Yes, Imron. That way his widow can have a really nice looking lathe for the estate auction!

I like Duraclad from Duron.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Thanks for the feedback. Imron is good stuff, but I'm not set up to be that careful. ;-)

I got email off-list suggesting heavy equipment "implement paint" which is urethane with a hardener that can be brushed or sprayed. Here are some links if anyone is interested:

(see BPS brand)

JD

Toxic.... I know of three painters that have died from that stuff, and another that his wife and kid died from it. you would have to be half crazy to get near that stuff.

John

Reply to
John

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 12:17:34 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "JD" quickly quoth:

I bought a pint of alkyd enamel for my Davis and Wells table saw at Home Depot for $7 and change. That sure beats $50/gal! A quart would do a large machine with some to spare.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Urethane Alkyd Gloss Enamel made by Benjamin Moore M22 Safe and durable

ED

Reply to
ED

I painted my Hardinge DV-59 recently. Used Sherwin Williams "Tile Clad". Safe to use ( I used a fan and North 7700 Series mask to be sure) and I applied it with a 3" roller. It's a 2-part epoxy ( with no isocyanates ) classified as an industrial coating. It is used frequently as a floor coating as well. I painted the lathe headstock, bed, and tray.

For the cabinet, which is less prone to get oily, I sprayed machine-grey High Performance Rust-Oleum from Grainger. Great paint at a modest price.

I also tested my old paint for lead before sanding it with my orbital sander. Still wore the mask as a precaution.

Stay away from Imron and paint with isocyanates - ain't worth the health risk.

Ed

Reply to
cascadiadesign

Using ANY catalyzed paint, particularly any urethane or polyurethane, use only in well ventilated area with a fresh air mask - the isocyanates are really nasty. A few applications are unlikely to kill you, but they might make you wish you were dead??

I'd be looking for a good 2 part EPOXY finish.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I think the risks are minimal if you brush it on, outside, or very well vintilated.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
William Noble

I second the alkyds. Brush it on and maybe thin for the second coat. It is very tough and easy to touch up. It wil take about 2 weeks to fully cure but can be accelerated with japan drier. Thin with vmp naptha. I have used some of the one part epoxy paint with success. Shiny and they dry fully in a couple days.

Reply to
daniel peterman