Metal casts of ant nests

The latest issue of Discover magazine has a very interesting article on the use of molten zinc to take casts of ant nest architecture. One of the more innovative uses of casting technology.

Off topic, sort of, but within the interests of the group, I'm sure.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

Hi Earle - My brother who lived in the Mojave Desert had been doing this for years. He built a portable furnace to melt aluminum. Carried it in the trunk of his car and drove to desert sites. One time he poured 15 pounds of molten aluminum, let it cool and started digging but never found it. Presumably that deep. Another time (all alone) this helicopter circled above him and came down to investigate, They were County Cops and figured it was connected to drugs or he was burying a body. The ants build a series of rooms which look like ming trees when turned upside down and fastened to a wooden base - George

Reply to
George G

This is kind of hard on the ants isn't it?

Red Rider

One would think so. Poetic justice if they're fire ants, though.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

--Hey, would this work for gophers? :-)

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Anhydrous ammonia for gopher holes, it's great for the lawn as well :)

Reply to
Dave Keith

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:31:48 -0600, "Dave Keith" pixelated:

Downwind, the surviving neighbors might dispute that, Dave.

----

- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah but you have to steal it from a meth lab!

Reply to
Beecrofter

Or a truck driver.

A while back, a relative, poured some anhydrous on a dollar bill. It shrank 20% or more, permenantly. I had it for a while, but misplaced it.

Reply to
Jeepers

On 22 Oct 2003 15:34:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) pixelated:

So much the better. They shouldn't have it anyway.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:31:48 -0600, "Dave Keith" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

One guy here in OZ was using bottled gas. Simply fill the (rabbit) warren and light the fuse.

It's funny what public opinion can do. It got stopped on cruelty grounds, although I have to say that rabbit traps, ripping up the burrows with a multi-tyne ripper, or using Calesi(sp?) Virus or myxomatosis hardly seem "kind" from what I have seen.

****************************************************************************************** Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to