Miller 210 or 251 or Lincoln?

Gunner, what does it take to use one without a corresponding Miller welder? (ie with a homebrew welder)

Ignoramus19949

Not a clue have I.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

That isn't necessarily inconsistent with the "how to do it if you want to" page. The 30A has more current capability and can handle higher duty cycle than the 210. It might be "not recommended" for the

210 simply because it's overkill (and overprice) as a new purchase for that application. The cheaper spoolgun would serve just as well at about half the cost.
Reply to
Don Foreman

AH!!! Miller must have honest folks in sales if they arent trying to push Overpriced is Better.

Way cool!

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Hi Ernie,

I was a bit curious about this, so I took a look at the link. This appears to be just the standard gun/whip, not a Spool gun which is what is being discussed/thrashed around. See this for some info on the Spoolmatic® 30A:

Of course, maybe I'm all wet and missed something in this discussion too...

My old Millermatic 200 came with a Tweeco 250 amp gun (not standard, they didn't like Millers gun either) and I've not had any troubles with it. It does get a bit warm to the touch (HOT) after some heavy use. If I was going to do even more serious work with it I would look into the Tweeco 300 amp unit.

I'm curious to hear what you have to say about the Tweeco guns :)

I thought the 210 was pretty much like mine, but it's not. The old 200 had a 6 postion voltage selector plus a high/low range by switching a stinger around. The 200 was 60% duty cycle @ full 200 amps too. See this for an old manual with info (3.3mb):

It looks like the old 200 was more mechanical, but a bit better machine in certain respects. The 251 appears to do

200 amps @ 60% duty cycle. I thought the 60% duty cycle at maximum output used to be the commercial standard, no Mickey Mouse crap. Sigh...

Great deal there Gunner on the Spool Gun. Keep me in mind too if you stumble upon any more deals like this. I've never been able to quite swing the $800-$1200 price tag for one either (shrug). I think you might be quite happy with an old Millermatic 200 too from what I've just been looking at in new machines.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

How long ago did you buy it, and do you know if that price is what they can still be had for now?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke