Lincoln or Miller TIG welder?

I checked a couple of local stores and I came up with this...

A Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 Pro 220v for $1,568 with everything (except the gas)

Miller EconoTIG with everything but the gas for $1,522

It won't be for a while till I purchase one, but I'm getting comments/suggestions now.

What I want it for is basically home use...and one that will have enough amps for aluminum (both of these can handle alum.).

What do you guys think of these prices? I'd rather go local than online for the warranty, etc. It's a hassle sending out a 100+ pound item for warranty repairs (if needed).

Any feedback will be taken =]

Thanks! Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

The lincoln is the better of those 2. The more comparable machine to the Lincoln is the Miller Syncrowave

180SD.

The Syncro 180 and the Lincoln 175 are both excellent machines.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

So which is the "better" of the two, The Lincoln Square Wave 175 or the Miller Syncrowave 180SD?

The comparison chart from Licoln make it look like theirs is much better (of course), especially because of the autobalance feature. I wish Miller would have a chart publishing their viewpoint.

Jeff Borning

Reply to
Jeffrey M. Borning

The Miller is a little better. It has a slightly greater range and a slightly higher duty cycle, and a digital readout of your amps.

It also costs about $100 more on average.

We just got 2 of the Lincoln 175's at school and they are nice simple machines.

I like Blue, my boss at school likes Red. We have many Blue machines so we got 2 new Red ones to make him happy.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Well Jeff, ya know they do:

-dseman

Reply to
dave seman

Thanks for the link. The last time I looked, the Synchrowave still had the fixed balance control. Now they have made it adjustable. This tips the balance in favor of Miller.

Jeff Borning

Reply to
Jeffrey M. Borning

Yeah I think so, after comparing specs, if I had to choose between the two, I think I'd buy the 180 SD, looks to come with a few more features than the Lincoln. I have not owned or used either machine though.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

You guys may want to ramble over to http:

and see all of the guys who are asking for parts and info. on old hobarts and millers. Judging from the response they get, miller/hobart seem to be able to satisfy the old parts requests just fine.

-dseman

Reply to
dave seman

i don't see on the comparison anything about the high current start? do either of these have that?

i'm not sure if that's what it's called, but it makes it so you can jump the gap and create an arc without touching the piece you're working on. I find that crucial to me beings i'm a newbie.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ryan

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Ryan) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com:

HF Control is on both machines (High Frequency) The SD 180 appears to be the only one that has the Adaptive Hot Start for Stick Arc Starts feature on the two camparison machines though.

The feature your describing is the HF Control.

HF Control Set by Process Set by Process Set by Process Adaptive Hot Start? for Stick Arc Starts YES NO NO

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

SWEET.