Lincoln or Miller TIG welder?

I checked a couple of local stores and I came up with this...
A Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 Pro 220v for $1,568 with everything (except the
gas)
Miller EconoTIG with everything but the gas for $1,522
It won't be for a while till I purchase one, but I'm getting
comments/suggestions now.
What I want it for is basically home use...and one that will have enough amps
for aluminum (both of these can handle alum.).
What do you guys think of these prices? I'd rather go local than online for
the warranty, etc. It's a hassle sending out a 100+ pound item for warranty
repairs (if needed).
Any feedback will be taken =]
Thanks!
Ryan
Reply to
Ryan
The lincoln is the better of those 2. The more comparable machine to the Lincoln is the Miller Syncrowave 180SD.
The Syncro 180 and the Lincoln 175 are both excellent machines.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
So which is the "better" of the two, The Lincoln Square Wave 175 or the Miller Syncrowave 180SD?
The comparison chart from Licoln make it look like theirs is much better (of course), especially because of the autobalance feature. I wish Miller would have a chart publishing their viewpoint.
Jeff Borning
Reply to
Jeffrey M. Borning
The Miller is a little better. It has a slightly greater range and a slightly higher duty cycle, and a digital readout of your amps.
It also costs about $100 more on average.
We just got 2 of the Lincoln 175's at school and they are nice simple machines.
I like Blue, my boss at school likes Red. We have many Blue machines so we got 2 new Red ones to make him happy.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Well Jeff, ya know they do:
-dseman
Reply to
dave seman
Thanks for the link. The last time I looked, the Synchrowave still had the fixed balance control. Now they have made it adjustable. This tips the balance in favor of Miller.
Jeff Borning
Reply to
Jeffrey M. Borning
Yeah I think so, after comparing specs, if I had to choose between the two, I think I'd buy the 180 SD, looks to come with a few more features than the Lincoln. I have not owned or used either machine though.
Kruppt
Reply to
Kruppt
You guys may want to ramble over to http:
and see all of the guys who are asking for parts and info. on old hobarts and millers. Judging from the response they get, miller/hobart seem to be able to satisfy the old parts requests just fine.
-dseman
Reply to
dave seman
i don't see on the comparison anything about the high current start? do either of these have that?
i'm not sure if that's what it's called, but it makes it so you can jump the gap and create an arc without touching the piece you're working on. I find that crucial to me beings i'm a newbie.
Thanks!
Reply to
Ryan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Ryan) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m05.aol.com:
HF Control is on both machines (High Frequency) The SD 180 appears to be the only one that has the Adaptive Hot Start for Stick Arc Starts feature on the two camparison machines though.
The feature your describing is the HF Control.
HF Control Set by Process Set by Process Set by Process Adaptive Hot Start? for Stick Arc Starts YES NO NO
Kruppt
Reply to
Kruppt
SWEET.