Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. Comes with the torch, pedal, self dimming mask, etc, but no gas cylinder. Listed at $1500 which probably isn't a real bargain.

In doing a little scanning on the net I've seen some comments that this machine is no longer produced, so parts may be a problem.

I rarely weld anything over 3/16", so this probably would fit my needs. I'd probably hang onto my AC/DC thunderbolt for awhile in case I needed to weld heavier material. At some point I'd likely want to weld thin aluminum, such as in a canoe repair (don't own one but that's the sort of thing I could see doing)

Decent machine or are there known limitations? Price reasonable or high for a used welder without the tank? (higher than I'd like to pay, but used relatively recent TIGs don't seem to come up all that often) Will parts / repairs become a problem? Any idea of when these machines were manufactured? What were they replaced by? I'm on the road, so can't check cost of cylinders. What does it typically cost to buy the gas cylinder? Refill like Oxy Acetylene - just tank exchange, or do they refill your small cylinder?

RWL

Reply to
RWL

Definitely not.

If you are within driving distance from me, I can sell you a Miller Aircrafter 330ST for the same price if you pay in cash. Note that I have not yet brought it home from auction, and did not yet test it, so this is a provisional offer.

Decent machine, but not too powerful.

You can buy a small tank or rent a bigger one, as I do. You need to put a rental deposit, around $200 or so.

Reply to
Ignoramus27079

Parts should not be an issue on a Syncrowave 180 SD for at least a decade or two. Miller parts support is very good and a 180 SD is a relatively recent machine.

For HSM type work, an 80cf cylinder is fine and should cost you less than $200 to buy with the argon inside.

You also need an argon regulator and flowmeter, which will add another $100+ if it's not included.

If it's a water cooled torch you need a cooler as well.

The price is certainly no bargain, perhaps offer half of that price.

Reply to
Pete C.

These machines are also good about not breaking too much.

Rule of thumb is that 97% of Craigslist listings are overpriced. eBay is also going int his direction, due to them lowering listing fees and raising fees for items sold.

Reply to
Ignoramus27079

Chicago area would be a looooong drive from central PA ;-) In my youth a road trip, but now.........

RWL

Reply to
RWL

I paid about $1650 for a new 180SD about 4 years ago. We rent our tanks, that was not included but included the torch, regulator, stinger, cart, etc. My price was a couple hundred $$ less than normal discounted price due to a special discount.

This is about the biggest transformer based machine that will run on a

50-60amp 240 single phase circuit.

We d> I spotted this on Craigslist within driving distance from me. Comes with

Reply to
RoyJ

Please, that's nothing. I've done TX-CT-TX (~3,400mi RT) a couple times so far and will do again in the near future.

Reply to
Pete C.