milling a rounded rectangle

No heresy, just speed. Which doesn't much matter for the prototypes, but does matter for production runs. The trouble with the rotary table from scratch is that it will take many passes -- my guess, about 15 or so to avoid having the cutter grab the work and fling it out of the hold-few seconds to cudowns -- or just dig in and ruin the work. It will take a few seconds each to cut the corners off on the band saw and about 10 seconds to rough out round on the belt sander. Then you have only two or maybe three passes to finish the piece. Sure you can go as you suggest -- but an you guarantee that you won't get impatient and take that next cut just a tad deeper -- I know I always do -- and get in trouble when I do. By the way, it isn't about a "fine face mill." I'm assuming you plan to use a vertical milling machine -- in which case, you want to use an end mill (on the side). About a 1/2" diameter running at about 500 rpm should do it for aluminum. You want to keep the speed fairly high for this.

Let me back off a moment while I finally understand what you want to do. You want to use a small diameter end mill (sort of like a router bit and use that to cut successively deeper and deeper. Not the best way for my way of thinking. For one thing, you may end up breaking a lot of little end mills. They will dig in to the aluminum. THey also have a tendency to screw into the work, gradually making your cut deeper than you intended and then, snap!!

Problem with your question is that there are so many, many, correct answers. You'll have to try a few and see which works best for you. But always keep in mind that what you do for the prototype and what you do for production could be totally different.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Hi

Well first of all I would take the sheet of AL to a shop and if possible have it sheared into two inch wide strips. If that could not be done to your satisfaction I would simply buy the Al in 2" stock. The value of the sheet AL would probably serve you better on some other project.

Next I would build a clamp to hold the 2"AL stock adjacent the end of the work and mount the clamp on a rotary table or on a self built pivot mounted of the mill bed. The ends of the work could then be shaped in succession by sweeping a 1" radius arc about the point of pivot on the rotary table / home made pivot.

Good luck.

Bill D

Reply to
Bill Darby

10 minutes cnc time including programming--add an extra five minutes if theres not a vise already on the table........

Call first to make sure I got a machine open.

Come during regular hours or forget to bring beer and Im gonna hafta actually charge you for the job at 1/2 hr minimum shop rate......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Boris - this is exactly what I ment. Now I understand why it won't work.

Reply to
revyakin

Boris - this is exactly what I ment. Now I understand why it won't work.

Reply to
revyakin

I've never known of anything that has the purchasing power of a case of beer. Scotch, maybe.

michael

Reply to
michael

hell, a case of scotch will buy you a small town mayor or police chief....

Reply to
bridger

It will work .. but the care you will have to take with this method isn't worth it. Having tried it, the major problem was with the rotary table. You have to tighten the gibs down to avoid wobble and chatter in the table -- but loose enough to allow you to turn it. Unfortunately, our hands don't possess 360 degree universal joints. Consequently, there is always some stopping and starting while you move your hand for the next turn or while you shift to the other hand for the next half-turn. It isn't the stopping that breaks the mill, but the restarting -- because starting friction is always higher than rolling friction. Also, don't forget that with a small diameter end mill, there can be considerable flex, which changes when you stop and again when you start -- very delicate. BTW -- I saw another poster offer to do it for you for a case of beer using a cnc mill. Of course, that's the easiest way to do it -- if you have a cnc mill at your disposal.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Questions for the OP.

Do you now have any metal working equipment in your garage? If so, what do you have? You said you would spend $1000, but if you don't have a mill to begin with, preferably a real one, save your money for the time being and buy a case of beer for Sam. Or someone that can do your prototype in far less time than it takes to read all the halfassed ideas that have been posted.

michael

Reply to
michael