Milling Brake Pads

I regularly lurk but now it is time to tap the combined wisdom of RCM. A project at work requires brake pads with only 2mm of friction material above the backing plate. I am searching for any and all suggestions regarding the best way to do this. This isn't a production environment and would probably be limited to 200 individual pads per year.

Presently this is done on a Bridgeport using either a 2 flute or 4 flute endmill. The results could be better. I am not the one turning the cranks so I don't have any first hand knowledge of the process. The guy in the shop is an expert driver and technician but not a machinist (and I am *very* far from that myself). The major obstacles right now are tool life, finish, safety, and workholding. Any ideas?

I read regularly but the delay in google inhibits timely response. Fell free to email directly if you like. I look forward to the suggestions.

Thanks,

Andy umdme at yahoo dot com

Reply to
UM Racer

I use automotive brake pads and have to mill them. I have used indexed carbide inserts to good results. I think all pads now have no asbestos so that's not a problem. It's still tough on coated carbide but at $2.00 per set of three points... finish is good and we hog the material off fast, but we only remove about half the material. Another option is to make your own pad material glued on with a stuff made by "Masterbond"

The best part is going to the parts store and saying: I want pads THIS big, showing him a shape with my fingers. Instant brain lock!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I've heard that brake pads are still being manufactured with asbestos. Use all due care when working with 'em. You can probably get an MSDS for the pad from the parts store where you buy it.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Why not grind them?

Les

Reply to
Ljwebb11

Hey Andy,

I think the standard way of removing pad material is with a sanding operation.

Take care.

Brian Laws>I regularly lurk but now it is time to tap the combined wisdom of RCM.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I will have to look into grinding or sanding the pads. I don't know what the shop has for tools (ie surface grinder, sanders, etc ?).

Tom, how do you hold the pads when milling? I will also look into getting an indexable endmill or face mill. As for making our own pads, we have to use "production intent" parts so making our own might not live up to that.

Thanks again, Andy

Reply to
UM Racer

You could bolt them to a face plate and turn them on a lathe. 2-4 at a time. Layout is not critical

You can make a faceplate "jig" to hold a number of them, that bolts to an existing face or drive plate, and simply cut them with carbide tools as you "face" them off. Make a face plate from a piece of 1" aluminum disk just big enough to swing, and bolt a number of pads around the disk, in rings.

Just remember..pads are abrasive material, so tool life is gonna be short. You might consider using carbide tooling.

Shrug..YMMV

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

If I understand correctly C2 carbide used for cast iron resists abrasion better than C6, but is not as strong so not suited for high tensile strength material.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

We just clamp them in a Kirk on top of a set of plls.

Reply to
Tom Gardner