webrings

I was a member of the UK model railways web community webring. Now, when I looked this morning (after receiving an email from someone at
webrings) I find that I am not, but someone (not me) had added me to the 16mm narrow-gauge webring and the live steam railway modelling webring, both of which I don't qualify for as I'm neither 16mm narrow-gauge nor live steam, and I don't want to be a member of either of them.
Does anyone know what's going on? Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

It's certainly never happened in the past ... when I was less busy at my real work I ran several very active website that included (or actually ran) links to webrings. In theory (a) it shoyuldn't happen and (b) is self defeating in that if a webring puts in a link to a non-member it looses any chance of keeping the visitor.
Very strange.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Hi Jane, I think I have invited you back ( check your web ring e-mail ) Kindest Regards Simon p.s. Don't know why you were deleted, I didn't delete you Si~

Thanks, but ...

I checked it last night after reading this, and there was nothing there, so I checked it again this morning. Still nothing there, sorry.

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden
Hi again Jane, Log into web ring and Click on the Join this ring link. There isnt much more i can do :-( Simon

Thanks for all your help, Simon.
Incidentally, I've absolutely no idea how I got into the Live Steam Railway Modelling ring (which has only 7 sites) or the 16mm Garden Railway ring (which has 47 sites). Maybe someone thought they were doing me a favour by adding me, but it's obvious that whoever it was had not looked even once at my site. The last time I did anything to my webring entry was when the navigation code changed, and that was absolutely ages ago!

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:19:15 +0100, Jane Sullivan

They should not have done that because it requires the webmaster (you) to add the forward and backward links. You became a dead end that broke the ring.

Jane Sullivan wrote:

Dunno, but if you discover that the webrings are actually alive, useful and used, then post back here.
Many many years ago I put the 2mm site on the model rail webring. I'm fairly sure we fell off at some point. We came massively down any sensible search for 2mm models (pages and pages down the list, whereas Google puts the site often first, and regularly in top half dozen for similar terms). Trying to contact any owner failed, so I assumed it was dead, removed the links from our website, etc..
If there is evidence webrings are alive and useful, then I'll try to reconnect.
- Nigel (as 2mm webmaster)
--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

When I was actively promoting and running various websites (mainly wargaming/military history) I found them to be very useful indeed. Generating a fair bit of traffic, if for no other reason than a visitor by following a ring is virtually garanteed to land at another site that will be of interest to him.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson