Milling with a drill press

wrote:

Makes sense.

Exactly.
I never thought of this, but it makes sense. (less side load)

Thanks Don... I want to be a little conservative about having "too many tools" that sit and do nothing, so I will see how much milling I actually need to make to do things that I like to do, it may not be all that much.
Question is: If you have such a nice drill press, why would you want to ruin it by milling with it? That lady would cost in excess of three grand to replace. Problem is: you get that bad girl in low gear and then get the bit stuck in the work; something has to give. I may be the chuck or the clamping this time but what about the next?
I don't know your drill but on mine there are several other weak points that I'd be worried about. Some of them I've found just through working the machine hard. The counter shaft on my Craftsman drill has come loose several times. When I got it I had to rebore the countershaft pully and install a bush. It has been slipping again and I've decided to redesign it. The main pully split at the flange and I just rebuilt that. This is from normal wear and tear on an otherwise excellent machine.
I expect just as much accuracy from my drill press as I do from a mill or a lathe. I do a lot of drilling with my Craftsman and after I've blued the piece, scribed the lines, prickpunched, centerpunched and spotdrilled, I expect the drill to put the bit where I aim it. Can't do that if the chuck is buggered.
I appologize for being so blunt but I guess you struck a nerve there.
Bud
Felt bad about dumping on you so I thought I'd give you some usefull advice. Get a used heavy duty router. Put in a carbide bit. Rig up a guiderail system. And face your aluminum with the router. At least you won't be ruining a $3000 drill press.
Bud
On Mar 22, 10:20 pm, Ignoramus15474 <ignoramus15...@NOSPAM. 15474.invalid> wrote:

Errr.... the spindle of most drill presses has significant end play. The question of what depth the mill cutter will reach is not really settled. It might decide to dive.
A lathe might make a better mill than a drill press; do you have one?
snip---

Like I've been saying right along-----a drill press is that------a drill press. Just because it has similar physical features that mills share doesn't make it one. They are designed to twist a drill, nothing more. The problem you mentioned is but one of many that would be the endless conveyer belt of unexpected surprises.

I think Iggy is in the process of equipping what used to be a rather barren shop. My money says he'll have it all eventually----he seems to really like this stuff.
Harold

I have a feeling that he is going to regret selling his mill vise in the near future....
Wes

And that Clausing 8530 mill a while back...
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:20:14 -0500, Ignoramus15474

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powermatic-1150-Drill-Press/Powermatic-1150-Z-J33-Chuck.jpg
i,
As an experiment put your indicator in the chuck and the point of the indicator on the side of the table. By hand pull the head to the right and the push table to the left as hard as you can. How much flex does it read with only manual forces?
I'm afraid that you've been on RCM too long. You've contracted the "Iwannadosomemillingalso" disease. It causes severe itching. You are attempting to scratch that itch using a drill press as a mill. It makes no difference whether you succeed milling with the dp or not, the itch will still be there.
As I see it, you only have two choices. Renounce RCM and start attending Metalworkers Anonymous meetings. Attend the knitting newsgroup instead. If you don't, you will be buying a mill(/drill).
Wayne D.
Never allow your parakeet to kiss you. You may contract chirpees. It is a very rare canarial disease. Worst part about it is it untweetable.

<snip>
I recall Ig selling a Clausing 8520 some time back. We all pleaded with him to hang on to it, to no avail. Oh, well, with Ig's scrounging ability, he can come up with another if he wants. As you suggest, that'll be soon after he gets a taste with the dp.
Pete Keillor

Unfortunately, I have no space to keep a mill like this. As of now anyway. The mill was actually 8530.
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:00:46 -0500, Ignoramus13983

Since you could part with that, you obviously do not need a mill.

You really should have hung on to that one.
Mike

<snip>
Especially as you only paid $350 for it. Most buyers would be hard pressed to find similar bargains, though you *do* seem to be be rather good at it so maybe you'll get lucky again.
Every time I look through the Craig's List site for Chicago I get the feeling all that's left are things you've rejected <g>.
Mike
Mike, how is your own mill working out?

The Clausing 8520 is working well, but probably needs a new bearing in the spindle pulley. On the Tormach, I managed to rapid a new 3/32" carbide EM nearly an inch deep into aluminum with the spindle off - scratch one EM. Maybe the remains can be turned into an engraving bit.
Mike

So, can you use this tormach mill now for various projects? Have you learned how to use it witth software, etc?

Yep, the Tormach is pretty much fully functional now and I've made a few simple parts with it. I'm using SprutCAM, which is a Russian product, but having a hard time learning the more complex operations in it.
Mike

Very nice Mike. I think that CNC is the way to go for the future.

I can scrap parts a lot faster now <g>.
Mike