Miracle of Scotch Brite wheels on yer buffer

6" and 8" disks, in 1/4 and 1/2 thickness. Sell for about $2 @ McMaster etc.

Benefits galore:

- come in dift grades

- very light, no need to center/balance, no vibration

- you can punch out arbor hole yourself

- never clog up

- no need for abrasive paste

- the finish they put on steel, wood, micarta, corian etc etc, is simply unbeleivable

- will never burn the said materials

One drawback: they won't last long. But it is also an upside, of sorts, as these will true themselves up by simply using them.

Reply to
rashid111

Good to know. They also come on 5/8-11 wheels for angle grinders, also on belts for belt sanders! I mostly spin stuff on the lathe, and grab it w/ 'Brite, for a nice, quick satin finish.

Or rather, the imitation 'Brite I get by the *stack* from the 99c store for, well, 99c. :) Some of it is not really bad, altho you cain't really predict the coarseness. And it ain't ScotchBrite. But it's 99c for a big-assed stack... One of the advantages to living in/near/on/under/about Le Ghetto-let.

Proctologically Violated©®

Rashid: I recently bought a norton "convalute" 6"x1x1 fine deburring wheel for $37.00. I does a nice job, but it wears very quickly. At the current rate of wear, I don't think it will last 2 months of very infrequent use. I probably lose a 1/16" each time on what I consider relatively small and flat parts. Have you used the norton conv? or the 3m XL? I am going to try the Nylon mesh as I have another mandrel to mount it on. Hopefully it will do just as nice a job , but be much more economical. Any comparisons that anyone can offer? I mostly use it for finish work on small stainless sculptures.

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

Mike, There many of these types of wheel made by the same maker. You need to match the wheel to the job. I have one wheel that sounds like yours. It wears extremely fast when used on edges. For flat surfaces, or surfaces with a large radii, which is what they are made for, they are fast cutting and last much longer. An example would be removing the rough surface of 304 SS hot rolled flat bar. Even though the 304 has been pickled after rolling to remove the oxidized layer it is still rough and hard to smooth. The soft wheels put a nice grain on fast. The wheels I use most are much harder. In fact, they will notch the metal if you are not careful. So look at the specs for the next wheel you buy to make sure it will match the job. Also, compare prices of the 6 inch and 8 inch wheels. A 1 inch thick wheel, 6 inches in diameter, with a 1 inch hole, has about 27 cubic inches of abrasive. A

1 inch thick wheel, 8 inches in diameter, with a 3 inch hole, has about 43.2 cubic inches of abrasive. That's about 15 cubic inches difference. Because the price differential is less than the abrasive differential for the wheels I buy only 8 inch wheels. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow

"rashid111" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

These wheels last longer

Anthony

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:49:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Anthony quickly quoth:

After unwrapping the url, I still got an error: Error: 403 You have requested data that the server has decided not to provide to you. Your request was understood and denied.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sorry...that's the link in the address bar, but because it's a link from

3M's website to what looks like another, there may be a permission error if you aren't coming from 3M's website....dunno.

Click on the PDF download on this page:

Anthony

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:48:02 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Anthony quickly quoth:

Ah, better (a 3 minute load time but the link is true. Maybe someone was hogging Starband for a few.), thanks.

The Scotch-Brite application guide/brochure is a great resource. I've loved Scotch-Brite pads from the very first time I saw one but haven't used any of the wheels...yet.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We use the white wheels on a few of our grinders for buffing sharp edges off of fixturing parts. These things will really polish up a surface.

Reply to
Anthony

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:16:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Anthony quickly quoth:

I take it that you use a light touch when going against the wheel? I grooved an aluminum piece many years ago on a wire wheel. Oops!

The only problem I've heard with the SB wheels is their longevity, or lack thereof.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Been using he harder wheels for years. b442 used to be a number but I think it was superceded. Last pretty well

Reply to
yourname