More metalworking today

Still on the mower deck ... yesterday the bearings I ordered to rebuild two spindles arrived , and have been installed - smewth! Today I plan to pull the two outboard spindles and replace them with the rebuilt units , sharpen and balance the blades (made a balancer cone the other night) mount new front tires , and adjust the deck to run with the wheels off the ground . I found out this is a "terrain follower"deck , and can be run either suspended or with the wheels supporting it . I might also find time to start to build a device to weigh my bee hives . I have a 110 lb dial type spring scale , plan on a 1:1/2:1/3:1 lever system set up so I pull down on a lever to lift the hive . Pictures will be posted when I finish it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have the older 440 Lb scale from Harbor Freight. It matches the readings from my bathroom scale pretty well.

These are light and compact and work well within their rating. If pushed too hard the brake on mine becomes difficult to release.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The scale I have looks just like that 550 lb unit in your first link , but only has a 110 lb capacity . I have no place to mount a chain hoist ... this device must be easily portable , since it will be used out in the bee yard(s) and must be hand carried from hive to hive . A basic description : a vertical member , with a lever on a pivot on top . On one end will be a chain/hook device to hook up to the hive body . The other end will have 3 attachment points at 1 2 and 3 to one ratios , the scale will attach to whichever one keeps the hive weight within scale . Another lever on a pivot is atttached to the bottom of the scale is pulled down to lift the hive body . Weight is the easiest way to tell if the bees are bringing in nectar without invading the hive frequently to check the frames . If they're getting heavier , groovy . If they're losing weight I need to either find a better location for them to forage or start feeding them sugar syrup , and that can get expensive with several hives . We have 4 now , and they can easily go thru 25 lbs of sugar in 2 weeks .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

This is terrible. where's the political crap in your posts? Too much metalworking content.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend