Hats Off !!!

What's with all the hats (men) that I see in restaurants? Where did these people learn their manners? It doesn't surprise me to see this on a 35 and
under age gent. But gees, some of these guys are way older than me (72) a nd come in with wives that are nicely dressed. Baseball caps? Come on! I realize that I'm old fashioned (still stand up when a lady approaches or leaves a table, or enters a room) but I'm convinced that these very same ge ezers would not have worn a hat indoors 30 years ago, but they do today. W hat has happened?
Ivan Vegvary

They didn't learn (old) manners is the simple answer.
Some banks still post a take off your hat sign at the door, but I suspect this is not about manners.
On Thu, 21 May 2015 07:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't been out to eat like that for many years...
As to wearing hats though, my hair is always a mess and I have a lot of it. So I mostly wear a hat just to hide all the messed up hair. At least the hair on top, don't worry too much about the ponytail. Having a sun/rain visor is nice too. Wearing glasses makes it especially so when it's raining.
At this age I really don't care much what other people think. I just try to be clean and courteous and let the chips fall wherever they do... There are places though where I will take it off and leave it in my vehicle.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Maybe they're going bald? At least they're wearing the baseball caps the right way 'round, right?
Yes, times have changed and it's now quite acceptable to wear a hat indoors particularly when such hat is worn for style rather than utilitarian purposes. If it's a sopping wet Sou'Wester hat that you just wore while working outside, then you should take it off.
It's also okay to listen to music in public on headphones, play with your phone (this one is arguable), take photos of your food with said phone before you eat it etc.
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

They are embarrassed about going bald. 30 years ago they'd have had a bad combover or a toupee - now they just wear a hat all the time.
On 5/21/2015 10:51 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I still have a hard time with guys that don't wear coats and ties to restaurants.

Says the guy in the pink TUTU...
This just in: https://www.gizmag.com/anty-gin-distilled-wood-ants/37617
--

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The growing electronics industry went to jeans and tee shirts back in the 60's, in reaction to IBM and Xerox's strict white-shirt dress codes.
Fashion-conscious New York magazine writers who visited the Segway factory noticed and commented on our very relaxed "dress code", though it's not much different from Broadway stage crew attire. http://performingarts.about.com/od/Stage_Management/a/What-To-Wear-On-A-Stage-Crew.htm "...the uniform should involve the standard black work slacks or pants, and a black polo, tee or pullover style shirt."
-jsw
On Fri, 22 May 2015 07:32:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

The scope of RCM conversations continues to expand. Who would have thought that we'd be evaluating fashion trends?
To be really sensitive to proper attire, you have to evaluate the environment you're entering. For example, I have several CAT caps, with specific models of earth-moving equipment embroidered on them. Do I wear the one with the front-end loader or the bulldozer? It depends on whether I'm dining in Aurora or Joliet.
And my college-team baseball caps -- Washinton & Lee, or Georgetown? Will I be overdressed if I wear the Princeton cap?
Not at "21" in NYC. But probably at Tony's I-75 Restaurant in Flint. Consult first with your fashion advisor.
--
Ed Huntress

When visiting auto factories the correct fashion is to be driving their product. Some of the engineers (not me!) had pissed off the secretary and she retaliated with flights and rental cars, so I arrived at the GM plant in Flint in an AMC Pacer.
-jsw
On Fri, 22 May 2015 10:36:58 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Oh, yeah. My son is in that spot. He has my Ford, but his current client is not-Ford. So his company rents him one of those not-Fords every Monday. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

In 1974 some GM bigwigs came out to check the progress on the seatbelt-interlock-module test station we were building for them, in a small backwoods town notable only for its wooden covered bridge.
The interlock was defective in the GM car they rented in Boston so they drove for two hours with the buzzer blaring. Their superior attitude wilted when we went out and silenced it for them in about 3 seconds.
-jsw
On Fri, 22 May 2015 11:17:37 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

So it was YOU! I used to do that by removing the fuse to the interlock for customers, but then GM got 'smart' and wired the ignition through that same fuse.
--

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

On Fri, 22 May 2015 10:36:58 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

That's OK. Anything made by AMC far outclasses anything GM-made. Check the visuals on Consumer Reports for nearly any year since they started them. Honda's on top, GM is on the bottom.
I -truly- miss my old 1970 AMC Javelin.
--

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I did like driving it, the trouble was that it looked like something a French chef caught in a swamp. http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658042,00.html
I hid it in the back of the parking lot, behind an equally offensive (to GM, not me) Honda Civic.
Small, low-profit cars in general were BAD. In private Chevette was pronounced Shove-it.
When foreign economy cars held 18% of the market they weren't worth competing with. At 22% they became a national threat that demanded goverrnment action.
-jsw
On Sat, 23 May 2015 09:02:10 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Ayup, BFU. <g>

And don't forget the Veg-a-Matics.

And look how well that turned out for everyone!
--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
On Sat, 23 May 2015 13:58:06 -0700, Larry Jaques

GM's biggest mistake with the Chevette was not installin dual exhausts as standard equipment. It gets very difficult pushing a wheelbarrow with only one handle.

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:25:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Har!
--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

I carried Chevette-specific tools to help another tech fix his in the company parking lot. It wasn't hard, just different, like needing a 5/16" (?) Allen key to replace brake pads.
A mechanical engineer friend drove his Vega over 100,000 miles without a problem by paying attention to its preventative maintenance, mainly fluid levels.
They weren't meant for owners whose religion opposed opening the hood. The assumption was that buyers of small foreign cars were used to more frequent maintenance, weekly for some British vehicles.
-jsw
On Sun, 24 May 2015 09:00:06 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

The engine in the Chevette was an old number from Opel, in Germany. It was the smaller answer to our old GM Iron Duke 4-cylinder. A really basic engine, it was easy to tune and fix -- out of necessity. <g>
I had a variety of British cars, old and new. It was very thoughtful of them to put things like an external knob on the distributor of the old BMC B-engine (the 948 cc version), because you had to adjust ignition timing about once every week. And the external jet-adjusting nuts on S.U. carburators were likewise helpful for those weekly tuneups, if your engine had two of them, because they were constantly getting out of sync
I don't miss it, though. If your car is your hobby, that's one thing. If it's your travel appliance, today's engines are a lot better.
--
Ed Huntress