More on manuals -- update

Hmm, wonder how this might impact a US citizen overseas...

Carry on Iggy!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Well ... one reason that I can think of is for the manuals to remain available after the government decides to retire that particular piece of equipment. They pull manuals which no longer apply to things in current use. Hobbyists, however (including people on this newsgroup), are quite likely to get just such equipment, and need to repair said equipment.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Tom, I think that I will have everything in the database. It is easier to back up and process.

Just an update on this: I received the set of DVDs. As I expected, the eBay seller who sold them,is a real scumbag: he clearly downloaded most manuals from LOGSA or some other place like that, slapped his "watermark" on them and claims "copyright" on those manuals. Yet some others, he stole from other websites, but still slapped his watermark.

There is no surprise here for me, as all CD sellers are sleazebags of this sort. Honest people do not go into this kind of racket.

This is exactly why I want to kill their business.

I will not republish his manuals. I will, however, download some of the same manuals from the government and will republish those. I have a script to do so.

As I said, they will be offered for free and I will keep a torrent running with all of them. I will limit my upload speed in order to keep my internet connection working well, so downloading of torrents will be slow until some more peers pick up the files.

Ignoramus12225

The government website that I know is called LOGSA and it is very user unfriendly and does not really present links to manuals in a nice way.

That's why manuals are so hard to find --- they are all there, but search engines cannot find them.

That's what I want to change.

Ignoramus12225

Be aware that they track all activity, and may block your IP address if you try to download too much, too fast. Also, there are parts of the website that require a user name and password.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes.

I will try to do it not too fast.