moving drill press

What's the best way to haul around and transport a giant drill press? I'm steering towards something old 'n heavy like a 20" clausing. The sell
sheets indicate about 600 to 650 pounds for the floor standing ones. I can't tell if they can be taken apart, or if that even makes any sense at all.
Can they be tossed on their side or across the foot and table and into a work van? They look really top-heavy so I'm unclear on how to wrangle something like that. There may be stairs involved too, for even more fun.

I don't have any drill presses that big, but the ones I do have all came new with the head, column, and base separate. The best thing to do is look. That being said, you may need a shop crane to lift the head of a big Clausing up on the column.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 21:25:44 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

The head on many drill presses will slide down the column. How low it'll go will depend on the table and its height adjustment. You'll need to remove the belt guard if it doesn't have a hole for the column to pass thru.
--
Ned Simmons

That's the way I handled my Solberga, getting it home.
The heavy part is the good part when you start using it!
Lloyd

Hah! I'd never cop to that in public. Some journalist might publish it somewhere, and -then- where would you be?

A "learning day", eh? I hate those, but they make us better. See? The number is still 1.
--

which is really the only viable mechanism to preserve liberty and
distribute power from kings to the rest of us.

Disassemble it, if you cannot get paid rigging help.

How much does something like that cost to move, from about 35 miles NW of the city to just west of downtown? A serious ramp of liftgate would be needed at both ends of the tip.
Tearing the thing apart would appear to require some sort of hoist or gantry to even get the head off the pedestal, and it's not really clear on how it's attached in the first place. Other forums indicate people have tipped them over and hauled them around, but there were warnings about cracking the table or base from putting weird strains on it. The weight doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it wants to fall over on somebody or something.
There don't seem to be as many 16" ones out there, and anything smaller is just a rebadged import.
I am guessing that you can find someone willing to bring it to your driveway for $700 or less.

I moved my johanson gear head drill press useing a cherry picker (engine hoist) and a u-haul pickup truck. About 1500lbs. A come along and a movers hand truck with straps got it in the down the stairs into the basement. Total moving cost was under $100. A knock down cherry picker is a good investment if your gonna move small machines around your shop.
Best Regards Tom.
On 1/7/2015 4:49 PM, Howard Beal wrote:

Boy, 1500 lbs is REALLY small for a pickup truck <BG>

I did the same with Powermatic 1200 drill press a while ago.

Is it possible to tip the thing over onto cribbing to wrangle the head off at a manageable height?

Can the table be easily removed from a clausing? There appears to be a gear mechanism with some sort of stops, although I can't see exactly how it works.