OTS: any car salespeople who are also rocket folk?

It's getting close to time for me to think about replacing my old Ford van. After 13 years and 250,000 miles it doesn't owe me anything, and
I've got a lot of affection for it, but it is probably time to look at something new.
It would be particularly nice to work with a rocket guy. Any car salesmen in the house?
I've got a few preferences. First is comfort. With 300 pounds of manly flab distributed on a 6 foot 5 inch frame, and enough stainless and titanium in my skeleton to set off airport metal detectors, I need a car engineered for me. Compact cars are torture devices. I don't expect to get all the space I have in the custom-conversion Econoline, but I can't be rubbing my kneecaps off on the steering wheel either. The first thing I will do with any prospective car is try it on for size.
It won't come as a surprise that I would love to drive a hybrid. That pretty much narrows the field to the Ford Escape 'brid, since I can't afford a Lexus or similar snoot-mobile. I have tried on the Escape and it fits. I like the power train. I'm pretty interested in one. Around the DC area they go for $26-28K new. That's a little rich for my blood, frankly. I'd drive a considerable distance for a chance to bargain with a fellow rocket person.
Any ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Buy a USED Escape. Don't piss away extra coin just for the fact of having the new car smell. Just ain't worth it. Also Consumer Reports is your friend for automotive reviews from actual consumers. And yes, factor mpg into the tco.
I don't consider myself a expert but I do consider my family(30+ cars) as experts.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

I test drove many vehicles 3 years ago when I had to replace my wifes' AND my vehicle.....the Ford Escape was the flat out scariest vehicle I've ever driven......shorter than necessary wheelbase, twitchy steering, and unbalanced CG, one lapse in concentration and I'm in the middle of the woods in the Adirondacks.....maybe it's ok in a desert......after a LOT of test drives we ended up with two Saturn VUEs....but I dont' see you in that Doug......here's your fuel efficient rocket machine http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1
120 mp? built by Lotus, designed in America......we're talking kewl.
Chuck
Also $100,000!
But Way cool!
Mark A Palmer
--

"Chuck Rudy" < snipped-for-privacy@verizonnospamdot.net> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Doug,
Here in Pennsylvania, you might want to try Reedman/Toll Auto World. They are one of the highest volume dealers of just about everything on the east coast.
I knew a guy named Phil Minnigh who used to work for them as a salesman. He may still, for all I know.
Give him a try.
Tanks, guys! Yeah, I agree that used is the way to go. I have two car ownership strategies that account for TCO. I buy a three year old car and keep it for seven years, or I buy a new car and keep it for at least ten. I can't complain about the van; I paid $17K for it new, 13 years ago this January. I found out something interesting about custom conversion vans: dealers have to order them 18 months in advance, so there are sometimes some left over in January with features no one wanted. At least that's the way it was in 1993.
With the kids old enough to drive themselves, I don't need the ol' rolling living room as much any more. It's great to travel in, and it's still the most comfortable thing I've ever driven, but I'm starting to wonder if I might have reliability issues. Just trying to do my homework before a crisis sets in.
Gus wrote:

Hi Doug: We bought our last truck from Marshall Ford. You might want to check them out as they seem like pretty nice folks. They're located just a few miles from Great Meadow. Just head North on 17 and they're at the stop light in downtown Marshall.
Anne says you're not allowed to burn Nitrous in this particular new hybrid! 8)     Best wishes,     Will
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
Hey Doug-

Phil Stein wrote:

The Mini's are just about the most silly funnest car ever to drive. Would love to take a Mini on a kart track :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

My wife bought one (not an S) it can't seem to get out of it's own way. I'll have to drive an S one of these days - I'm sure they must be better.
Phil
Phil Stein wrote:

My sis's husband has the standard(non blown) Mini as well and can get it going pretty good autoX'ing it but he has the engine revving pretty high.
The S(blown) Mini has some very much needed lower/midrange torque and moves on out pretty good. These damned Mini's are addicting :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Me in a Mini Cooper? It would look as though I had been canned.
I used to have an AMC Pacer, about 20 years and 80 pounds ago. I don't know if I got the good one they made that week, but I loved it. One of the best things about it was that when you opened the door the whole side of the car came off. Very easy to get in and out of.
I'm told the new Beetle is a good car for those of us who take up more than our fair share of volume. I can't see myself in one, though.
Not that I'm prejudiced against small things. I have some that I treasure, like the MicroMaxx WAC Corporal kitted by ASP, or my Beretta Tomcat. It's just that when it comes to moving the old bod around, I want some comfort. Building a frame around an easy chair won't cut it. And the last time I tried to sit in a "compact" car, I decided that I would need two: one for each foot.
See you in Geneseo?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: <snip

TK
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence.

Yup. I like it so much I've been looking to get it some friends. Beretta made a Cheetah in 9mm with that tip-up barrel system. Besides, it's fun to own a gun made by a company that has been making them for 500 years. We went to Beretta Range Day a couple of weeks ago, and the factory rep said they have this old piece of paper framed on the office wall in Italy: a contract between Beretta and the City of Venice for a hundred arquebus barrels, dated five years before Columbus left town. Too cool.
TDKozan wrote:

On 21 Jul 2006 13:52:04 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I won't be there. I thought their big launch would have happened by now. They sure lost their momentum (iin my mind anyway) - went from the launch I used to look forward to, to the launch I forgot about. It can't be me. ;-)
Phil

A long time ago, I used to autocross. That was when they had 'real' Mini's. They usually had the fastest time of the day and I'm not talking about just in their class.
Phil
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a Ponitac Vibe, which is a Toyota Matrix twin. It's really a Corolla station wagon. I was 6' 240 lbs when I bought it just a year ago (now 180 lbs)and have plenty of room. It sits a little higher than a standard car, but not as high as a SUV. Gets about 30mpg around town, and will hold a 2x4x8' lumber, and still close tha back hatch (had to fold down the front passenger seat). The Vibe has a built in roof rack where you can attach level 3 attempts that won't fit inside.
John
Interesting! I'll check it out. Thanks. I like the height; it makes it much easier for me to get into and out of, and I'm used to sitting up there in the van. Driving the van is like flying down the road in an easy chair.
How'd you lose the weight? It's taken me two years to get down 40 pounds.
John Karpich wrote:

I had an interesting day today...especisally for a guy from Detroit. I went to the London Auto Show today! Amazig selection of vehicles that ALL seem to get 30mpg + inthe city and 45+ on the Highway.....Absolutely amazing!
And on a side note ...They had an AMAZING display of Ferraries and other Supercars!
Mark Palmer

news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Weight Watchers, or should my wife did Weight Watchers. As I was sitting down to eat she would look over to me with such a look. She would say "are you going to eat THAT". It got tiering to hear that every day for 2 months. I finally said fine, I bet I can stick to it too. We both made out goals.
John