Mystery nut/socket combo

Of course, once I got off my lazy ass and researched more at the source instead of going straight to Google I learned a great deal more!

Ok, so first off, I mis-read the specs of the original engine pretty horribly. It's not a 1400cc engine, it's a 1400 CID engine. Big difference! That would certainly explain the dual bolts on the con rods, to say the least. And as for the vehicle source, it wasn't a car, bike, or a plane... it's a tank! A German Panther tank, to be exact, circa 1944. The engine is a Maybach 230. Here's the site with the thread for the curious:

(For those of you unfamiliar with that particular site, it's an automotive forum generally dedicated to professional and amateur racing, not of the "on street" variety. Lots of... shall we say... "dominant" personalities there, and while they do come up with some interesting stuff from time to time, even by their own admission it's not a particularly friendly and sociable place for those who aren't already in-the-know.)

So much for my ballpark guess on torque specs for the thing. Probably also ruins any chance of finding some kind of official tool name for it, but at least it gives a better direction for research. Tank engine guts... any war machinery historians out there?

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

It may well have come off a Maybach V-12, but if so it wasn't a 1400 cc engine. Maybach's Zeppelin line of luxury automobiles was powered by V-12s, but they started at more than 6 liters. AFIK the smallest engine Maybach ever made was between 3 and 4 liters and used in cars in the late 30s. However I don't think it was a V-12.

I don't think Maybach ever built motorcycles.

14 liters maybe.

--RC

rcook5

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:45:00 GMT, The Hurdy Gurdy Man calmly ranted:

Try "spanner wrench". The easiest way to get one is to take a piece of steel, drill the ID, and saw the "teeth" into the other end. Drill another hole for a bar to turn it. I used to make them from pipe for automotive work. A die grinder with a 1/16" x 4" wheel works just fine. I couldn't wait for the SnapOn or MAC guy so I made my own. One I had to make an actual spanner wrench for was the headlight switch bezel nut on some old Chebby. Old 4x4 3/4 ton front wheel bearing nuts were the same problem. If you didn't have the 4"-ish socket, you might be SOL.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 04 Jan 2005 15:46:07 +0100, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen calmly ranted:

Ford had straight hex nuts and a castellated cap with more slots in it to allow more positions for the nut to be held by the cotter pin.

So, in that case, he can make a curved-bar tightener out of a piece of

1/8" to 1/4" square (or round) bar. That will be enough to get his few in/lbs or ft/lbs of preload.

Half-ascii drawing follows:

_________ __ ========= || \\_____// -----

If it's in a tight place, bend a longer arm up at 90° so it will fit into a deep area, then off at 90° again for leverage.

- In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare ------

Website Application & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't think so Carl.. These nuts are made to fit in a recess that's why they are tightened with a spanner that drives on the face of the nut.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I suggest you study the pix of the spanner sockets in question. they are 1-1/2" drive impact sockets!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
David Billington

If that's your understanding, don't ever take the back off a self winding watch!

Reply to
Tom

...................... a TANK ENGINE ..............!

Now it turns out that this is an "inside joke" in my family; It's funny and ; I laughed out loud...

When an uncle of mine came accross the German for Allenwrench:

Winkelschraubendreheri Inbusschlüssel

He maintained that one of the reasons that Germany lost in WWII was because they could not get tools or parts for their equipment on time - It took to long to write out the requests... ;-}

The "tank engine" that required both this castelated nut, and its wrench, support his belief. I would love to see the original "tank manual" reference for the tool and parts listing... Thanks, JHbs

Reply to
Phants

The mechanics manual for BWM motorcycles used to be printed in four languages in parallel, including German and English, broken down by steps. The English was typically about half the length of the German.

There's a possibility you might actually get your wish. Armored fighting vehicles and associated printed material have been collectors items for a long time. There are a lot more Panther tanks in existence than there are Maybach automobiles. I believe that a lot of the manuals and such have been preserved as well.

rcook5

automotive

personalities

Probably also

guts...

OK, so it's a tank diesel, that'd explain the heavy lower end. It also explains the special nuts. In a couple of book I have on armor and tank development, the authors mention that the Germans originally designed their armored vehicles to be shipped back to the factory when they needed service. Not much of a problem in western Europe where railroads are plentiful, kind of hard in Russia where railroads were fairly rare and a wider gauge to boot. So chances are the wrench for those nuts was a non-standard specialty item and was probably only to be found in the factory.

Stan

Reply to
stans4