Mystery Parts

Hi All;

Been cleaning up a bit lately, and would like to identify some parts I got with my South Bend 9" A model a few years ago. I'm not sure that all of them are related to the lathe, or even if they're all metalworking tools. I'd like to at least figure out if they're worth keeping or finding a good home for. Any information is appreciated. The filenames are based on guesses of what I think the items are/were. And they really aren't as rusty as they appear in the photos, honest!

Thanks!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

The dividing head is an indexing head, but a pretty simple one. Used with a milling machine, shaper or planer, surface or cutter grinder. A true dividing head has gearing and index plates that will allow a variety of indexing options. This one is limited to the number of teeth on whatever gear is installed on it. Should have a tailstock.

Misc1 - upper right: quill adapter for a drill press to allow mounting hollow chisels for mortising.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Yeah, it should have a tailstock, unfortunately it doesn't. It's also missing the split cotter lock for the spindle. ;-) Any idea who the manufacturer might have been? Atlas?

That was my thought as well, but the finish is the same as the other parts in the picture, which made me think it might have been something else, but I can't see how all those parts are related. You're probably right.

Thanks

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

I've got one with the tailstock, in really good condition, and could not find any data indicating who made it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Nice! Did it come with extra indexing 'gears'? If I had a mill, I'd make some parts for the one I have.......

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

These are parts from several things. The big yoke is part of a drill press mortising rig, and the block with clamp and the forked bit are from an atlas wheel dresser for a tool post grinder.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Great! Might be worth cleaning up and finding some parts for. Thanks!

The wheel dresser makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that. Could the 'grinding rests' be for sharpening end mills on the same set up?

Thanks alot!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell
[ ... ]

Hmm ... could it mount in place of the compound? If so, it might be part of a radius turning setup. I think that one of the other pieces in the same photo (the part below it with the slotted arm) may go in the upper (small) end and turn a HSS lathe bit to cut the radius. That fitting would be for negative radii, while another one (with a crank-like design) would be for turning positive radii like balls.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Specifically, one manufactured by Atlas as an accessory for the Atlas milling machine.

A picture can be seen here:

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Most are made to work withselected gears from the threading (crossfeed) set.(Change-gears)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Pete, I have a tailstock that matches!

Pretty close to the matching paint chips!

Wanna make a deal? Either way?

If you were inclined to be parting with the headstock, we might make an arrangement, as I have a small mill it would fit.

If not, we could deal on the tailstock...

Definately Atlas!

Email me if you want to see the pictures.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

That's it! But without the tailstock. Thanks Kevin.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell