Mystery pipe?

Awl --
Ahm semi-re-plumbing the lines to the HW heater, and I noticed what appears to be some sort of vent/pressure relief ditty coming off the *CW inlet to
the HWH*. From the CW pipe to this gadget is copper, from the gadget to the wall is 1/2 black pipe. The 1/2 pipe goes thru an outside wall, altho I have yet to find anything outside!
I'd be hardpressed to imagine that this thing still works, whatever it was. I'm sure it's 25++ years old. It's not an anti-water hammering device, afaict. Is it safe to just get rid of this thing? City water pressure is barely 60 psi, I have gauges plumbed into a couple of lines, very little variation. It would make my life a lot easier if I could ignore/get rid of this thing.
--
EA

http://www.oconomowocplumbing.com/design/wisconsin-plumbing-code-water-heater-relief-valve/
City water can be shut off, making the tank a closed system. Then simply heating cold water can generate enough pressure to pop the relief valve. I found that out by experience after closing the meter valve to make a repair. jsw
On 22/01/2013 10:00 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

http://www.oconomowocplumbing.com/design/wisconsin-plumbing-code-water-heater-relief-valve/

The relief valve on our HWS cracks every sunny day (solar system), old gas system used to as well.
Check out the Mythbusters video on what a HWS explosion can do - quite impressive & destructive even if it is enhanced by the Jamie's.
Yes, that tank and water explosion was a sight to behold. IIRC they removed the TP valve, and deliberately blew it up. Took much longer than they expected.
Check out the Mythbusters video on what a HWS explosion can do - quite impressive & destructive even if it is enhanced by the Jamie's.
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:16:56 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

A friend's boyhood home had a water heater explosion early one Sunday morning. It lifted all the floor boards from the joists, most of the joists from the foundation, and the floorboards from the upstairs floor as well as blowing out all the windows and lifting the roof. Apparently it took several weeks to get the old farm-house livable after. Neighbours a few farms away felt the shock as well as hearing the boom.
Some new fangled safety devices are a good thing?
A friend's boyhood home had a water heater explosion early one Sunday morning. It lifted all the floor boards from the joists, most of the joists from the foundation, and the floorboards from the upstairs floor as well as blowing out all the windows and lifting the roof. Apparently it took several weeks to get the old farm-house livable after. Neighbours a few farms away felt the shock as well as hearing the boom.

rs

o the

s.

get

g.

new hot water tanks come with a temp pressure valve pre installed, the outlet should go to the floor to prevent a scald hazard if someone happens to be walking by when it operates

new hot water tanks come with a temp pressure valve pre installed, the outlet should go to the floor to prevent a scald hazard if someone happens to be walking by when it operates ================================================== OK, since my HWH is a Kenmore, it of course has this valve built in to the heater itself.
Is what Jim was talking about how they did it in the old days? If so, then I can just remove that piping?
Now I know what those long tubes are for! I guess I should put one on.... :)
--
EA

The old days? I replaced my water heater a year ago. jsw

What did you pay? I think I'm on borrowed time... :(
So you have a relief thingy on the LINE, and not on the heater itself?
--
EA

> jsw
wrote in message

$237, plus $33.98 for the flex hose connector kit, in December 2011 at Lowes. The relief valve is on the side of the tank near the top. The tank that leaked was installed in 1987. The thermostat is at 120F which may extend the life of the elements and the tank. When I need hotter water to scrub pots I heat a teakettle.
wrote in message

Just in case there is some confusion, this apparent pressure relief thingy is on the cw LINE, not on the tank. My tank has a built-in one, as well, as I'm pretty sure was mandated by law at least 20 years ago.
So I'm going to scrap the one on the line.

That's a great price -- 40-50 gal, I presume. I got my 50 gal kenmore a bunch of years ago on sale for $160, now I see them for close to and over $1000!!! At both Sears, HD.... wtf???? I'll check out Lowes. I really should start preparing for when mine goes.... it's way overdue....
--
EA

l, as

nk

new tanks are more efficent and safer too.....
although electric tanks are 100% efficent less standby losses newer foam insulation cuts operating expenses dramatically
wrote in message

new tanks are more efficent and safer too.....
although electric tanks are 100% efficent less standby losses newer foam insulation cuts operating expenses dramatically ================================================ I wonder what the bottom line is, cost-wise? Or better yet, cost-to-own-over-10-years- wise, what with electricity being more expensive, but then more efficient. There should be boucou tests on this. Sounds like a good thread..... :) I'd consider an electric. But I think the regenerative time of gas is faster?
Funny, gas seems to predominate in water heaters, electric in clothes dryers..... Poss. cuz the H20 combustion product dudn't help the drying process??
--
EA

ngy

,
f?

========================>

ve,

Depends on where you are, gas is popular where gas is cheap, the folks had gas water heating and a gas clothes dryer for 40 years, most of the neighbors had the same. Newer parts of town had houses that were all-electric, there was that scare back in the '70s where we were running out of NG and they stopped permits for it.
Electricity is going to go nowhere but up, what with power plants being shut down per Big O's war on coal. Unless he puts the skids on natural gas exploration, gas will continue to be the cheaper option along the pipelines.
Stan
In NYS, there is a public ed campaign going on, about the "dangers of fracking". From what I can figure, in PA, they do a LOT of hydro fracturing to get the natural gas out of the ground, and no one seems to think it's dangerous. In NYS, I used to see a lot of signs with the circle slash "/FRACK/". I suspect that's part of the admin's war on business and war on cheap, effective products.
Depends on where you are, gas is popular where gas is cheap, the folks had gas water heating and a gas clothes dryer for 40 years, most of the neighbors had the same. Newer parts of town had houses that were all-electric, there was that scare back in the '70s where we were running out of NG and they stopped permits for it.
Electricity is going to go nowhere but up, what with power plants being shut down per Big O's war on coal. Unless he puts the skids on natural gas exploration, gas will continue to be the cheaper option along the pipelines.
Stan
On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:49:29 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The problem with fracking is the same as with any for-profit industrial pro cess, where possible shortcuts are taken and risks undertaken to save a few bucks. For example, there is little risk if the well casings are properly done, and if the wastewater is safely removed from the site.
What tends to happen is they get sloppy with the wastewater, and the casing s hold up long enough for production, but things go to shit after the well is out of service, often abandoned.
It's worth noting the industries claim of 'zero problems/issues/accidents/c ontamination caused by fracking' only refers to problems that occurred duri ng the actual fracking pumping process, not to problems that occurred after the pumping process, but would not have occurred had fracking not been use d.
With the climate of business in the US, and the government hostility, I can easily imagine short cuts and cost cutting.
Then, like the BP oil spill in the gulf, govt preventing them from doing sensible disaster relief.
The problem with fracking is the same as with any for-profit industrial process, where possible shortcuts are taken and risks undertaken to save a few bucks. For example, there is little risk if the well casings are properly done, and if the wastewater is safely removed from the site.
What tends to happen is they get sloppy with the wastewater, and the casings hold up long enough for production, but things go to shit after the well is out of service, often abandoned.
It's worth noting the industries claim of 'zero problems/issues/accidents/contamination caused by fracking' only refers to problems that occurred during the actual fracking pumping process, not to problems that occurred after the pumping process, but would not have occurred had fracking not been used.
On Jan 23, 6:49am, "Stormin Mormon"
> In NYS, there is a public ed campaign going on, > about the "dangers of fracking". From what I can

> to see a lot of signs with the circle slash "/FRACK/".

Against faucet water that tastes nasty and that you can ignite with a lighter.
(put fracking and lighter in a search machine together)
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:39:34 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone

Spreading lies is also a lie. ...but don't let that stop you.