Naval gun film?

Does anyone have the link to the Navy traing film about loading the 18 inch guns.

I thought it was titled "72 men load gun", but canf find it.

???

Richard

Reply to
Richard

HTH.

Reply to
Wes

I thought only the Brits had a few 18" guns and the Japanese had 18.1" on the Yamato and her sister. I know there are vids of 16" gun operation.

Reply to
Buerste

That's the one, Wes. Thanks.

I owe you one for that.

Richard

Merry Christmas

Reply to
Richard

It was a 16 inch -

Probably why I had som little luck?

Reply to
Richard

Al Patrick

Just before the first world war, the brits built 3 light battle cruisers of shallow draught. They were intended to be used to seize one of the Frisian Islands, as a base to operate in the Baltic. The first two, Glorious, and Courageous had 15 inch guns. HMS Furious was a bit larger, and was to have

18 inch guns. In the end, only the aft turret was mounted, with the foreword part as an aircraft carrier. Soon all three ships were fitted with flight decks, retaining the central superstructure. Plane landed on the after deck, and were lifted around to the foreword deck with a derrick. In this form they launched 7 airplanes against the Zeppelin sheds, in the words first ever carrier strike. A 4th ship was built with a straight through flight deck, the first operational carrier with this configuration. After that, the other 3 were converted, so that at the end of the war, the UK had 4 operational carriers. The 18 inch guns proved to be shattering on such a lightly built ship, which hastened the conversion. The guns were moved to Singapore. On the ship the gun was in a single gun turret.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.