Need suggestions for good air hose

My cheap rubber air hose fell apart, as it developed cracks and started leaking air. (today's development) I am looking for good 3/8" ID air hose with 1/4" fittings. By good I mean flexible and durable and easy to coil and uncoil (I am not looking for spiral sort of self coiling hose, just a flexible hose). I have one hose like this (came with compressor), it is just not long enough at 50'. I need another

50' hose. I looked at mcmaster and was a little confused by their choices, so, if anyone has a suggestion, I will appreciate it. For now, I put item 54085K263 in my shopping cart.

I use air tools several times a week at least.

Ignoramus12748

I have a 25' length of IIRC 1/2" ID fibre reinforced clear vinyl tubing that someone fitted with 1/4" quick connect fittings, which I got for $1 one Saturday morning. I have had no problems and see no reason why this isnt a good material for this use. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That's nice. If I find something like this, I would definitely not pass it up, but I need one now.

Ignoramus12748

I've been happy with the 3/8" ID x 60' hoses I've picked up at Wal-Mart. [$10-$15]

You might also want to check with an auto parts store and get a couple of "splicers" and some hose clamps. These, when kept on hand, can extend the usability of hoses. (One of mine got a cut ~ 1' from the male 1/4" QD connector and a replacement end put it back into service.)

While I've got a couple of those "pre-coiled" hoses, I only use them as a last resort. [I wouldn't be surprised if Aquarium Air Line worked as well as those do...]

Reply to
RAM³

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 06:13:15 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus12748 quickly quoth:

Drop by your local HF store and check out the Goodyear PLIOVIC rubber hose they carry. It's 2.5x the price of their PVC crap hoses and is considerably more flexible, even in cold weather. The lack of flexibility is the reason I dislike their $10 PVC hose.

50' $25.99
' $39.99
The HF rubber hoses are more flexible than their PVC brothers but less flexible than Goodyears. (No, I still haven't bought a good one.) Also, the HF rubber reeks like all hell. Avoid them.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have one like that for argon, the trouble with them is that they are not very flexible. One of my hoses, the one that came with the compressor, is old but extremely nice, very flexible and strong. I have no idea what it is made of. It is dirty green in color.

Ignoramus21657

Larry, thanks, I will definitely buy one.

Ignoramus21657

Harbor Freight is running a sale on air hoses. The blue ones (chinese) are actually pretty good. I bought several of the Orange (goodyear) some years ago and are still giving me good service.

And Im rough on hoses.

Gunner

Gunner

I am also moderately rough on them (and use them relatively a lot).

Do you mean something like (what Larry mentioned) item 30269?

Ignoramus21657

Harbor Freight has been known to have Goodyear air hoses at decent prices. Not as cheap as the China stuff of course, but good hoses. Depot and Lowe's both carry reasonable good hoses as well at passable prices. The newer lightweight poly ones are pretty popular for construction use so you aren't wrestling both the heavy framing nailer and a heavy air hose.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 14:52:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

They're great in hot weather. Nice and pliable, easily cleaned, etc. but in the morning or cool weather, they move like molasses and are as flexible as frozen pants.

With a dirt and rock floor? You betcha!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

At that length, you'd better go 1/2"!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ayup..the orange one. Good stuff

Gunner

Gunner

Winter is coming..Ill find out.

Indeed.

Gunner

Gunner

Don't know how good these are, but they're cheap enough to try out....Paul

catguy

Up here north of the border. the "tundra" hose from Pricess auto is both good and reasonable.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Same thing here. I have a Lot of Goodyear hoses and they have all taken a real beating. About the only failure I have had was one hose that developed a leak when some hot slag hit it. Cut that one into two shorter whips and mounted them over the bench.

Reply to
Steve W.

I also have a couple 50' lengths of 1/4" OD, of what appears to be double layer, vinyl with fibre mesh reinforcement that I got for $3.00 each at a thrift store. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller