New machine shop in Seattle area

Found this story this morning. This guy may have too much money. Wonder if he has ever even operated any of the equipment he is putting
together?
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sundaybuzz/2012981363_sundaybuzz26.html
Perhaps he will just hire people to run the shop.
Paul
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:23:14 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com"

You know he's refitting that old iron with new controls. Wonder what he settled on. Camsoft would be a great choice, Fagor another possibility. Mitsubishi in there too. I'm sure there are others.
When you get into this monster accurate iron, you can buy it for scrap and refit it into a state of the art machine for a fraction of new price. Of course, this is not for shops without a lot of control expertise.
Karl
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:18:57 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

sundaybuzz/2012981363_sundaybuzz26.html
Or run it with EMC2, like Stuart Stevenson with his enormous 5-axis Cincinnati mill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxxdq6y8z8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v5tHYaDUmZQ

There's a great page listing a ton of EMC retrofits:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Videos

That is HUOOGE!!!

Or you can look at my Bridgeport Interact running EMC2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJtZiR5_-4

It is actually in a nice shape now, with everything tucked into the control cabinet and not looking like a crazy project.

By the way, not that I am contemplating, but is it really true that those huge machines can be had at scrap price, just because the big guys do not wan them, and the little guys do not have the ability to run them?

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:27:33 -0500, Ignoramus24898 wrote:

Maybe nobody can afford to move them.
Good Luck! Rich

We paid 750 for the twin spindle bed mill with fifty tools in the ATC and 100 for the one spindle with 20 tools in the ATC. But it cost 2K to haul home. We stripped the little guy (only 16,000 lb) sold scrap for $750 and still have the drives to sell. We're keeping all the motors pumps and components for spare parts.
Now , I may be the only guy on RCM that can use a 96" bed twin spindle bed mill. This particular mill had new ball screws installed just a few weeks before the bankruptcy sale.
Karl

Wow. I thought my Bridgeport was kind of big. Got any pictures?

That seems to be quick, from maintaining machines to bankruptcy sale.
On Sep 27, 7:32am, Ignoramus21149 <ignoramus21...@NOSPAM. 21149.invalid> wrote:>

Most all business bankruptcies are not planned by the business, but are forced by one or more of their creditors. Seems to take only a day at the most.
Paul

Yes, but then it takes a while to get to actual "sale". This is what surprised me.

here's one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Matsuura-1000-Twin-CNC-Mill-U-221-25000-/380264619409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889899d91
It shows the operator panel I'm wrining out wires for in another thread.
Karl

http://cgi.ebay.com/Matsuura-1000-Twin-CNC-Mill-U-221-25000-/380264619409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889899d91
Not so bad. What are your plans, refit and sell?

refit and give to "the kid"
Not too profitable, but very satisfying
Karl

I do that too

http://cgi.ebay.com/Matsuura-1000-Twin-CNC-Mill-U-221-25000-/380264619409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889899d91
    Hmm ... what are the two analog meters for on the right hand edge of the panel?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

spindle load and RPM
Ignoramus24898 wrote:

Yup, a pretty big machine. I did some servo tuning on it when I was in Wichita last spring (2009). Stuart has a couple even BIGGER machines. His Giddings & Lewis horizontal mill had a broken encoder and was not operational when I was there. We made some attempts to fix the encoder, but didn't get it working. The G&L has dual-loop control, linear encoders PLUS shaft encoders for velocity feedback. The table on the G&L is about 50 feet long.
He has a Viper gantry vertical mill that has about a 40 x 15' table that he is thinking about doing an EMC retrofit on.
Jon
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:51:43 -0500, Ignoramus24898 wrote:

Hey, Ig, after the variety of stuff you've shown us, who would have known the difference anyway? ;-D ;-D ;-D
Cheers! Rich