Sunday score

Every day I look here and wish I lived in a country with Harbor Freight stores, scrap merchants and used machinery dealers.

It is verge collection in our council area this week & I spied a Hilti case in a pile of junk and got my son to haul it out, figuring it would be a nice case to store air tools in.

The case contained a 12V Lithiium battery drill, 2 batteries, the charger and the user manual. Took it home and all seems to test out ok. Drilled a dozen wall anchors into brickwork no problems.

I still wish we had better scrap dealers here anyway!

D.

Reply to
Dennis

Somewhere, a mean wife is getting a severe beating for that one...

And I wish we could still haul junk out of the County Landfill site while/after we were dumping things there.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Where is 'here'?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

That thought did enter my head! We have a lot of fly in / fly out mine workers. One might be flying back in this week to a clean & tidy garage....

Reply to
Dennis

Perth, the capital of Western Australia. There's not a lot of manufacturing done here.

Reply to
Dennis

Ah. I'm headed to rural NSW in the somewhat near future (coming from Calif). Trying to think of all the odd hardware, tooling, and such I might be wanting, and trying to scrounge it all up before moving. I'm sure NSW overall has some areas with industrial surplus, Wagga Wagga probably being the closest. But one thing I'll really be wanting to learn down there, is where to find surplus stuff. I'm also already thinking of looking into importing. Not too sure if that will be feasible working from a rural location though...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

The East coast is definitely better for surplus than my side on the West - I'd guess 80% of the population lives on the East coast.

There's a chap who frequents here that lives in one of the Eastern states.....I'll see if I can find him..........Its 'Andrew VK3BFA', from his posts he seems like a good guy - he may be able to give you the heads up on 'resources'. From his call sign I think he's underneath NSW in Victoria.

I'm sure you'll enjoy being downunder, just coming into summer now, a great

30C (~90F) today.
Reply to
Dennis

Yes, have exchanged a few emails with Andrew. I have something of a contact list of metalworking folks down under. As I get closer, I'll be making contact and soliciting advice on what all to bring. And... I'll likely have some room to spare in the container, so might just be able to drag along some goodies for some folks.

Have always been there in spring or fall. Was going to try and spend a month there over Christmas this year, but wasn't going to work out. The thought of spending Christmas at the swimming pool trying to not get sunburned would certainly be a novelty!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

When I lived in LoCal, I often ran around in cutoffs and no shirt on New Years Day, BBQing between the games. I kinda miss that, but Oregon is extremely mild compared to _most_ other states, so I still feel blessed to have remained on the Left Coast doing my Right Thing.