Question about ring rollers

Using a cheap ring roller (which I have not purchased at this point) such as http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html
Would it be possible to roll a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 x 1-1/4 CDS (cold drawn steel) on it's 1-1/4 dimension to a 16" circle? Hard to explain but I don't need to roll it on it's narrow side but rather the wide side. I know you could roll it on the wide side easily but the narrow side possibly presents problems. This probably a question more about the material than the machine. As in would the material hold it's shape or would it kink? Any tips are appreciated.
I am certain it could be done, but probably not cold. You would have significant thickness difference across the profile though. I would never consider this as the correct solution though. I would be cutting this from sheet. It would cheaper, faster and without material stress. Steve

On 9/26/2010 2:39 AM, Steve Lusardi wrote:

I don't have any tools to cut it from sheet and make it look nice is the problem.
Find a shop that has a cnc plasma or water cutter machine and ask. It only takes a few minutes. If you are not a pain in ass, most folks would do you the favor. Steve

says...

hold

Somwhere this past summer this type of rolling was discussed on one of the metalworking forums, but darned if I can locate it. It had lots of photos of these operations.
I doubt that the HF roller has the type of dies to do it, it requires restraints on the flat sides while it is rolling. I don't think it would have the strength, for that matter.
Find a piece of 16" pipe, cut off a 1 1/4" slice, and beat it flat:-)
--
DT

I'd consider this one for strength...
http://shopoutfitters.com /
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 9/25/2010 11:34 PM, sbnjhfty wrote:

It is done all the time... it's called "rolling the hard way." Your problem is that the harborfreight crap probably won't have enough strength and/or rigidity to handle the job.
The concept, however, is sound......

--

Fort Agent 6.00 Build 1186

"When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and

That unit can't do it. Find a shop that has a #2 Buffalo. But that'll take a 20' piece rolled into a "spring" that then gets cut into rings that have to be flattened. One of my engineers used to do a LOT of roll forming and he doesn't envy the job. Cut it out of plate.