New pictures -- cold saw works -- blade question

The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

I moved the page and added some pictures of it cleaned up and running.

It did not pump coolant at first, but started pumping as soon as I primed it. The saw, also, cuts metal just fine (1 1/4" square tubing) with the coolant flowing and neatly returning back to the coolant drain.

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp blade?

Reply to
Ignoramus11196

And the last line reads: "But it is smaller than most cold saws. It weighs about 150 lbs, which means that I can easily carry it around. "

Are you bragging or complaining?

Flash

Reply to
Flash

I was describing the saw. Being able to carry 150 lbs saw, is not much to brag about.

Reply to
Ignoramus11196

Flash wrote: (...)

Look closely, Flash.

He lined through the word 'easily'.

"... It weighs about 150 lbs, which means that I can ------ carry it around."

You funny, Iggy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I would imagine the shriek sound to be the blade revolving on the hub whilst cutting (slipping), a dull blade just requires more pressure and time to make a cut. from Bri a happy owner of an omes three phase coldsaw.

Reply to
brian

Harmonics.

Even with a freshly sharpened blade, if you get the wrong combination of cross-section vs speed vs pressure vs number of teeth in contact vs phase of the moon, then it will screech.

Try pulling down harder - really. (Although I would not do that if the tubing is thin-walled)

Does it screech when you cut heavy bar stock? (Might just be a woman)

Ours doesn't screech any more or less as it gets blunt - it just stops cutting. ...but when its sharp... Best thing since sliced bread. Love it. Mirror finish, dead straight, no sparks, very fast.

Good find, Ig.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:46:39 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Perhaps you've forgotten that Iggy has steel biceps, as shown in this barenaked shot on his website:

You sound -just- like Short Round there, Winnie.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thought the blade attaches to the hub and then is fixed with several bolts?

Ignoramus21406

I will try some more cutting today and report.

I think that mine is sharp, then, as it cuts quickly. I agree on the above points, but for me, other advantages are that it is not as loud, and does not make the shop dirty from dust. I am very happy with this saw so far.

Reply to
Ignoramus21406

Man that is a nice piece of equipment! I've always wanted to own one. Oh well I guess I'll be bandsawing and milling until one comes my way. Seriously, Iggy, nice work.

Reply to
woodworker88

I have been looking for a small one like this, for a long time. Was very glad to finally find one.

Reply to
Ignoramus21406

I do not think that , in the final analysis, the blades for cold saws are very expensive. They last long and can be resharpened many times.

I am very enthusiastic about it. I want to figure out what coolant I need and whether to replace existing coolant, which is likely to be very old.

Reply to
Ignoramus21406

Slipping seems unlikely. I think there are usually pins in the hub. A dull blade taking longer and more force to cut is my recollection too. The saw I used sometimes screeched. It might not be significant.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That dust is one of my pet hates. It gets on everything. That's why I have a power hacksaw. Perhaps not as fast as a cold saw, but the blades are cheaper, and it cuts square unlike most old bandsaws.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Might be kerf width and blade wobble. Might need to get the teeth set when sharpened. I assume they have set and get flattened from cutting fast or hard material.

I don't have one - sounds neat.

Martin

Mart> The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works. >

Martin H. Eastburn