Newbie: Beam Deflection

I have a choice of using mild steel square tube for a project, the pieces will be about 5 feet long. Assuming a weight is hung from the center of the tube, which would bend (deflect) less: 1) 3/4" x .0625 thick square tube or 2) 1" x .125 thick square tube?

Thanks,

George

Reply to
gglines

gglines wrote: (clip) which would bend (deflect) less: 1) 3/4" x .0625 thick square tube or 2) 1" x .125 thick square tube? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The 1" tube would deflect a LOT less.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The 1"x.125" will be over four times as stiff as well as stronger. Check the dimmensions you posted. Is that really the choices? How much weight?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

No, I'm an idiot. The 3/4" has the thicker walls. 3/4 1/8" (1.20) vs 1" 16 gauge (.065) tube.

Thanks,

George

Reply to
gglines

The 1" is stiffer. The deflection will be only a bit more than 60% as much as the 3/4". The 1" is also slightly stronger but I certainly wouldn't hang more than 100lbs in the middle of either. If there is

*any* chance of the load bouncing, then much less.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Thanks Ted, much appreciated.