Non-Standard 3C Collet

Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It wuld be handy for a repetive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the big lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The problem is I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe. Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ERll. They are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can hunt around and buy them for about the same size as spec size collets. There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the way through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On 1/18/2018 5:19 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: > Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I > know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It wuld be handy > for a repetive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the big > lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The problem is > I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate > bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe. > Its just a big pain. > > Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that > just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ERll. They > are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can > hunt around and buy them for about the same size as spec size collets. > There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the way > through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either. >

Some of the typos fixed. LOL

Other than making one is there any way to get a 3C collet in 5/8? I know I could have one custom made, but that's silly. It would be handy for a repetitive job I am working on to do the heavy operations on the big lathe and some lighter operations on the smaller lathe. The problem is I have it setup with 3C collets and a closer and I absolutely hate bolting on and unbolting a chuck on the small lathe or the mini lathe. Its just a big pain.

Anyway, Is there any chance 5/8 is one of those out of spec sizes that just happens to exist anyway. Like 7/16 for ER16 or 5/16 for ER11. They are outside the spec, but they are commonly enough made that you can hunt around and buy them for about the same price as spec size collets. There is a enough meat on a 3C for it. It wouldn't go all the way through, but my 1/2 inch 3C collets don't go all the way through either.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

YOUCH!!! I found one.

The price is... what it is.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Jim Wilkins

That looks like a good option but be warned you may have to change the pins. I've bought a number of 5C emergency collets and all had oversize pins, IIRC 3.5mm in 1/8" holes. Maybe they couldn't source the correct size where they were made so they substituted something close.

Reply to
David Billington

That looks like a good option. I just might buy a couple of them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That's a good tip. If I get some I'll see how it seats up compared to a collet with a precision pin in it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe