Norelco Rotary Shaver Sharpening

I done it! Have 2 700 series corded Norelco triple heads. Unwilling to fork over 25+ bux for new heads, I cleaned them, and then sharpened the blades by rotating them in reverse direction with medium pressure against some wetted 4000 grit paper on a flat surface. Worked like a charm. They cut like brand new. JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Still easier to grow a beard. I haven't shaved for 29 years now. How many others go my route?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have had a beard most of the time since I was 18. Every once in a while I would get curious as to what I looked like and shave for a few months. The older I got the less curious I was. Haven't shaved since I was 44, six years ago.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl

In Florida? Are you insane? :) I just pop the guard off my hair clippers once a week and remove the worst of it, unless I have to be somewhere important.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, but the cages wear out, too. And when they wear out, it jams the blade and strips the gears in the head, wrecking the razor. Now that the razor is trash, the savings evaporate. DAMHIKT.

Don't step over a dollar to pick up a penny. At least buy new heads every other time - it might work once, but not forever.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

My Dad gave me a $5 plastic kit a few years ago to do just that. It was basically a shallow plastic tube with an ID the same as the OD of the blades. You also got bumch of little sandpaper discs sized to fit the tube. Drop a disk into the tube grit side up, drop in a blade, rotate for a few minutes with your finger. I'm lazy, I use the razor motor. Doesn't seem to matter which way it turns. Repeat for the others. So far it works every time.

Reply to
RB

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:56:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

I still shave my chin, but my mustache has been growing since I was 18 or 19. I trim that, BTW.

Viva la Cookie Duster!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:17:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Please define "every other time", Bruce.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who is Cookie, and why is she dusty?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[ ... ]

I! 31-32 years I think.

Now -- around December, little kids start thinking that I'm Santa. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have a beard but shave the upper cheeks and the neck. 33 years The other Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

On 12 Sep 2008 02:57:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "DoN. Nichols" quickly quoth:

Your beard is THAT white, Gramps? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The first time it gets dull, use your sharpening trick. The second time, replace the heads. Third, sharpen, Fourth replace.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat. (Once.)

Or you can go Sharpen, Sharpen, Sharpen, Sharpen, Sharpen... GRUNCH! as the cage/comb part wears through and jams the cutter head and the plastic drive gears strip.

Then instead of buying a $10 set of heads you are buying a $100 razor. And that's what I mean about "Stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny" - it may have sounded like a good idea at the time, but it's false economy.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I thought rotary blades were self sharpening. Norelco said theirs are, but if the blades and combs get mixed up they'll be resharpened in a matter of days, or in a matter of seconds if a tiny dab of toothpaste is applied (you can hear it do its work).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Yep. Let's see -- 2008 - 1941 is 67 years old now.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:23:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

Gotcha. But with my lack of beard, heads last damnear as long as the razor.

Ten bucks my arse, Bruce. Even Wally World is getting $28 now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I tell them "No, my tummy isn't quite big enough!" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

2008 - 1939 = 69 then divide by 2 to get the age I feel and act. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

At least there are no negative numbers in that equation. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have worn a mustache continuously since 1971 , and had a beard most of that time . I can't remember the last time I shaved ... probably sometime in the mid 90's .

Reply to
Terry Coombs