O2 cylinder exploding

I beg to differ. Why/how would fire enter the tank if there is nothing flamable in the tank? (other than the tank itself) and the oxygen is under high pressure, escaping at roughly the speed of sound?

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The idea floated here is that there were filings created in the tank by the action of removing the valve, and that the filings ignited spontaneously due to the heat of friction, and the high O2 pressure, and perhaps enough heat was created to get the interior steel surface ignited.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Possible

Not a chance.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Yeah, chance. Keep in mind that the cross-section of the threads (where the fire would've started in the first place) IS mighty thin at the top of the thread form. That area could, indeed, get hot enough from a fire in contact with the threads to ignite. Then, it's only a matter of propagation.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If there was lubrication on the valves threads which was prompted by problem threads? This could allow the O2 to become contaminated. From the description of the original circumstance and the attempted valve removal and the actions and abilities of the personnel involved,I believe this could be a viable scenario. Now add the valve being forced off the few remaining threads, creating heat of ignition and viola, we have lift off.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger