Odd thing with PVC tubing

I have a coil of flexible PVC tubing that has sat on a shelf for a few years and I went to cut a piece from it and found that the entire coil seems to be covered in an oily film. Nothing else in the area has this film so it would seems it hasn't been deposited from the environment so I assume the tubing has exuded this oily film itself. Does anyone know if this is a normal occurrence with PVC tubing and is this some sort of plasticiser leaching from the tubing. If so any thoughts on whether this is detrimental for the tubing. I saw some of the tubing earlier today that I had supplied to someone a few years ago and that seemed fine but maybe general handling will have removed anything exuded so as not to be noticed. Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
David Billington

Yes, probably plasticiser. I bought a length once of cheap Chinese tubing that did that. It didn't hurt other than it is not as flexible as it was when new, so don't flex it repeatedly & it may be hard to push onto a hose barb, etc

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Yeah, flexible "PVC" can be 1/3 plasticizer, which is more volatile than the polymer itself. Unike some things, plastic tends to get stiffer as it ages.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

jsw